ESD empowers learners to take informed decisions and responsible actions for environmental integrity, economic viability and a just society, for present and future generations, while respecting cultural diversity. It is about lifelong learning, and is an integral part of quality education. ESD is holistic and transformational education which addresses learning content and outcomes, pedagogy and the learning environment. It achieves its purpose by transforming society.
Learning content: Integrating critical issues, such as climate change, biodiversity, disaster risk reduction (DRR), and sustainable consumption and production (SCP), into the curriculum.
Pedagogy and learning environments: Designing teaching and learning in an interactive, learner-centred way that enables exploratory, action oriented and transformative learning. Rethinking learning environments
– physical as well as virtual and online
– to inspire learners to act for sustainability.
Societal transformation: Empowering learners of any age, in any education setting, to transform themselves and the society they live in.
• Enabling a transition to greener economies and societies.
– Equipping learners with skills for ‘green jobs’.
– Motivating people to adopt sustainable lifestyles.
• Empowering people to be ‘global citizens’ who engage and assume active roles, both locally and globally, to face and to resolve global challenges and ultimately to become proactive contributors to creating a more just, peaceful, tolerant, inclusive, secure and sustainable world.
Learning outcomes: Stimulating learning and promoting core competencies,such as critical and systemic thinking, collaborative decision-making, and taking responsibility for present and future generations.