When :from Tuesday 31 October, 2017 10:00 to Wednesday 1 November, 2017 13:00
Type of event :General Conference
Where :UNESCO Headquarters, 7 place de Fontenoy, 75007, Paris, France
Given the centrality of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and its 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) in all UNESCO’s fields of competence, the Organization will convene the Leaders’ Forum of the 39th session of the General Conference on the theme “SDGs and UNESCO’s Role in the Multilateral System” (31 October).
Since 2015, UNESCO is acting across the board to support its Member States in implementing the new global development agenda through new approaches and innovative partnerships. The new agenda is a paradigm shift; taking it forward requires equally ground-breaking thinking and action from all stakeholders.
To reflect on UNESCO’s role in the implementation of the SDGs though its work in education, the sciences, culture, and communication and information, leaders from all parts of the world are invited to take part in the Leaders’ Forum of the 39th session of the General Conference to share their views on the ways in which UNESCO can best serve its Member States in leading forward the SDGs. The Forum will also serve as a platform for sharing Member States’ policy approaches and best practices in the implementation of the UNESCO-related SDGs.
Heads of State and Government will be invited to deliver 15-20-minute keynote addresses on the proposed theme, with a view to fostering dialogue and fruitful exchanges.
The Forum will be opened and closed by brief statements by the President of the General Conference and by the Director-General.
The discussions of the Leaders’ Forum will be part of the official Proceedings of the General Conference.
Provisional List of speakers:
- President of the General Conference
- Director general
- Président de l’Assemblée générale de l’ONU
- Madagascar: S. Exc. M. Olivier Solonandrasana Mahafaly, Premier Ministre, Chef du Gouvernement
- Bosnie-Herzégovine : S. Exc. M. Bakir Izetbegovic, Membre de la Présidence
- Afghanistan : M. Mohammad Sarwar Danish, Vice-Président
- Îles Cook: Hon. Henry Puna, Premier Ministre
- Bulgaria: Mr Boil Banov, Minister of Culture, Special Representative of the Governement
- Mali : S. Exc. M. Ibrahim Boubacar Keïta, Président (dernière intervention – hommage)