In today’s interconnected world, culture's power to transform societies is clear. Its diverse manifestations – from our cherished historic monuments and museums to traditional practices and contemporary art forms – enrich our everyday lives in countless ways. Heritage constitutes a source of identity and cohesion for communities disrupted by bewildering change and economic instability. Creativity contributes to building open, inclusive and pluralistic societies. Both heritage and creativity lay the foundations for vibrant, innovative and prosperous knowledge societies.
As a specialized agency of the United Nations, UNESCO has a unique mandate to build peace and sustainable development through culture. In order to achieve this mission, UNESCO works with various partners that, individually or through specific networks, contribute to developing and disseminating knowledge and capacities for protecting our heritage and fostering creativity.
ENGAGE WITH UNESCO CULTURE SECTOR
UNESCO offers a range of different entry points for partnerships. These are all areas where the Organization has leadership, recognized expertise and comparative advantage. They also correspond to UNESCO's Culture Sector top priorities:
- Building capacities to protect, promote and transmit heritage
- Fostering creativity and the diversity of cultural expressions
- Protecting heritage at risk
- Promoting shared history and memory for reconciliation and dialogue
At the 37th session of the General Conference, UNESCO adopted the Comprehensive Partnership Strategy which defines the overall framework for partnership and separated strategies for engagement with individual categories of partner. : Comprehensive Partnership Strategy.
The way in which UNESCO works with partners takes different forms and includes notably:
- Combining expertise for programme delivery through joint designing and implementation of activities at the national, regional or global level
- Direct financial and in-kind contributions, including personnel secondments, volunteers, equipment
- Coordination and consultation on the elaboration of programmes and on development of policies, standards and norms
- Sharing outreach capacity and specific networks to support UNESCO’s advocacy and policy dialogue in its priority areas and countries
- Providing and benefiting from technical assistance and advisory services