Objectives include promoting measures addressing the principles of sustainable management of groundwater resources, addressing methods for the sound development, exploitation and protection of groundwater resources, developing new groundwater resource maps, and strengthening groundwater governance policy and water user rights in emergency situations. These challenges call for comprehensive research, implementation of new science-based methodologies and the endorsement of principles of integrated management, and environmentally-sound protection of groundwater resources.
- Focal area 2.1: Enhancing sustainable groundwater resources management
- Focal area 2.2: Addressing strategies for management of aquifers recharge
- Focal area 2.3: Adapting to the impacts of climate change on aquifer systems
- Focal area 2.4: Promoting groundwater quality protection
- Focal area 2.5: Promoting management of transboundary aquifers