The Conference of Parties (COP) is the sovereign body of the Convention. It has overall responsibility for its implementation.
The functions of the COP, as foreseen in Article 30 of the Convention, include:
- promotion of the purpose of the Convention;
- discussion of the relationship with the World Anti-Doping Agency;
- adoption of a plan for the use of the resources of the Fund for the Elimination of Doping in Sport;
- examination of the monitoring of compliance with the Convention and the reports submitted by States Parties; and
- examination and adoption of any amendments to the Convention
The COP usually meets in ordinary session at UNESCO Headquarters every two years; the meetings of the COP are managed according to its Rules of Procedure.
In addition to States Parties and other Member States of UNESCO, the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) is invited as an advisory organization to the Conference. The International Olympic Committee (IOC), the International Paralympic Committee (IPC), the Council of Europe (CoE), the Intergovernmental Committee for Physical Education and Sport (CIGEPS) and other intergovernmental sports organizations are invited as observers.
Bureau of the Conference of Parties
The Bureau coordinates the work of the Conference of Parties and order of business of the session.
For the 2020-2021 exercise, the COP7 Bureau is composed of:
- Mr Marcos Diaz (Dominican Republic)
- Mr Hitesh Patel (United Kingdom of Great-Britain and Northern Ireland)
- China (People's Republic of)
- Russian Federation
- Saudi Arabia
- United States funding of the World Anti-Doping Agency and the Rodchenkov Act: implications for the International Convention against Doping in Sport - Communiqué of the Bureau of the VII Conference of the Parties
COP6 Bureau meetings
- First meeting, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia, March 2018
- Second Meeting, UNESCO Paris, France, December 2018
- Third meeting, Santo Domingo, March 2019
- Fourth meeting, Bucharest, June 2019
COP5 Bureau meetings
- First meeting, Bucharest, Romania, 2016
- Second meeting, Republic of Korea, 2016
- Third meeting, UNESCO Headquarters, Paris, France, 2017
- Fourth meeting, Bucharest, Romania, 2017
- Communiqué of the Bureau of the Conference of Parties to the UNESCO International Convention against Doping in Sport, 1 August 2016
COP4 Bureau meetings