UNESCO International Literacy Prizes
2018 Laureates of UNESCO Literacy Prizes
The winners of UNESCO International Literacy Prizes were announced by the Director-General of UNESCO on 30 August 2018, following the recommendations of an international jury.
The UNESCO King Sejong Literacy Prize was awarded to:
- Aid Afghanistan for Education in Afghanistan for its ‘Accelerated Education for Marginalized Women and Girls’ programme
- The Ministry of Education and Culture in Uruguay for its ‘Permanent Learning Programme’
The UNESCO Confucius Prize for Literacy was awarded to:
- The Literacy Movement Organization in the Islamic Republic of Iran for its ‘Consolidated teaching of literacy and ICDL basic computer skills’ programme
- The Nigerian Prisons Service in Nigeria for its ‘National Open University of Nigeria - Prison Study Centres and Inmates General Education Programme’
- The Foundation Elche Acoge in Spain for its programme ‘Spanish as a second language for adult immigrants’ programme
The awards will be presented by the Director-General in a ceremony at UNESCO Headquarters on 7 September on the occasion of the celebration of International Literacy Day.
Stories of 2018 Laureates
Project in Uruguay to receive UNESCO Literacy Prize for promoting citizenship skills for people in detention