UNESCO produces technical guidance materials for education stakeholders who seek to implement or substantiate the study of the Holocaust and of genocide and atrocity crimes more broadly in education systems.
UNESCO’s Policy Guide on Education about the Holocaust and preventing genocide describes how educating about the Holocaust can support global education priorities in various environments, such as cultivating global citizenship and developing a culture of peace that can prevent future mass atrocities. The guide suggests a series of learning objectives and related activities and provides detailed guidelines on curriculum development, textbooks revision, professional development, classroom practices, non-formal and extracurricular activities, etc.
UNESCO and the Georg Eckert Institute for International Textbook Research published a study entitled The International Status of Education about the Holocaust and developed a series of recommendations, available in all United Nations languages, for curriculum and textbooks authors. The recommendations draw on a mapping and analysis of representations of the Holocaust in education materials worldwide.
Guidance tools and research include the following publications:
- Addressing anti-semitism through education: guidelines for policymakers, UNESCO, OCSE, 2018
also available in French, Arabic, Russian, German and Hungarian
- How does education about the Holocaust advance global citizenship education?, UNESCO, 2018
- 2017 International Conference on Education and the Holocaust, Washington, DC, 4-8 December 2017: progress report and follow-up, UNESCO, 2018
- Education about the Holocaust and preventing genocide. A policy guide, UNESCO. 2017
also available in French, Spanish, Arabic and Portuguese
- La Enseñanza del Holocausto en América Latina: los desafíos para los educadores y legisladores (in Spanish only), UNESCO, 2017
- Carrier, P., Fuchs, E. and Messinger, T. The International status of education about the Holocaust: a global mapping of textbooks and curricula. UNESCO/Georg Eckert Institute for International Textbook Research, 2015
summary available in English, French, Spanish, Arabic, Chinese, Russian
- Gross, Z. and Stevick, E. D. (Eds.), As the Witnesses Fall Silent: 21st Century Holocaust Education in Curriculum, Policy and Practice. UNESCO IBE/Springer International, 2015
- Gross, Z., and Stevick, E.D. (Eds.), Policies and Practices of Holocaust Education: International Perspectives, Vol. 1&2, Prospects 153 & 154, UNESCO, 2010
- Holocaust Education in a Global Context, UNESCO, 2014
- Why Teach about the Holocaust? UNESCO. 2012
also available in French, Spanish, Arabic, Chinese, Russian, Dutch, Fulfulde, Punjabi, Wolof