UNESCO 2019 Forum on Education for Sustainable Development and Global Citizenship
Hanoi, Vietnam, 2-3 July 2019
Learning and Teaching for Peaceful and Sustainable Societies: From early childhood to primary and secondary education
The UNESCO 2019 Forum on Education for Sustainable Development (ESD) and Global Citizenship Education (GCED) will take place in Ha Noi, Viet Nam, with a thematic focus on: Learning and teaching for peaceful and sustainable societies: From early childhood to primary and secondary education. It will address how the cognitive, socio-emotional and behavioural dimensions of Education for Sustainable Development and Global Citizenship Education are reflected in pre-primary, primary and secondary education.
On the occasion, UNESCO will launch the conference-ready version of the study on how the three learning dimensions of ESD and GCED are reflected in curricula at pre-primary, primary education and secondary education levels in ten countries from across the world.
The Forum will provide a platform to exchange experience and innovative approaches on how to address gaps and fully harness the potential of these three domains of learning in order to support sustainable development and global citizenship.
The 2019 forum is organized by UNESCO, in cooperation with the Ministry of Education and Training of Viet Nam and the Viet Nam National Commission for UNESCO, with the additional support of the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology of Japan (MEXT), the UNESCO Japanese Funds-in-Trust for the Global Action Programme on Education for Sustainable Development, and the Asia-Pacific Centre of Education for International Understanding (APCEIU).
Participation is by invitation only
Targeted participants include policy-makers, education practitioners, representatives of non-governmental organizations (NGOs), experts, development community, and the private sector actively working in the areas of ESD and GCED.
- Present the outcomes of the conference-ready version of UNESCO’s study on how the three learning dimensions of ESD and GCED (cognitive, socio-emotional and behavioural) are reflected in curricula at early childhood, primary and secondary education levels;
- Deep dive into the key findings of the study with a view to understanding trends, identifying major gaps and challenges;
- Exchange innovative and promising approaches on how to address gaps and fully harness the potential of the three domains of learning at the three levels of school education in order to support sustainable development and global citizenship;
- Expand and reinforce partnerships and networking opportunities around these issues.
- Concept note
- Early childhood care and education and education for sustainable development & global citizenship
- Global Citizenship Education: Topics and Learning Objectives, 2015.
- Education for Sustainable Development Goals: learning objectives, 2017
- UNESCO 2017 Week for Peace and Sustainable Development: The Role of Education
- Progress on Education for Sustainable Development and Global Citizenship Education, 2018
- 02.07.2019 - UNESCO forum on three dimensions of learning timely for humanity and the planet opens in Ha Noi
- 26.06.2019 - Innovative UNESCO forum will explore three dimensions of learning crucial to achieving the Education 2030 Agenda
Any questions may be addressed to ESDGCEDForum@unesco.org.