Asia-Pacific Centre of Education for International Understanding
Seoul, Republic of Korea
Established as a UNESCO Category 2 Centre in 2000
APCEIU seeks to promote Education for International Understanding (EIU) and Global Citizenship Education (GCED) towards a Culture of Peace that integrates individuals, communities, nations and international/global systems, and fosters a sustainable relationship between humanity and nature with the following mandate:
- To strengthen regional and sub-regional capacities in planning and implementing a broad range of practices in EIU/GCE;
- To encourage and facilitate collaborative links between Asia-Pacific initiatives and other regional, international and global efforts in education;
- To carry out research and development related to the philosophy, teaching methods and curricula in the field of EIU/GCE;
- To organize training workshops and seminars on EIU/GCE;
- To produce and disseminate teaching/learning materials and other publications on EIU/GCE; and
- To undertake any other activities necessary to promote EIU/GCE in the Asia-Pacific region
APCEIU emphasizes a pedagogical approach to EIU that integrates knowledge and understanding with the development of values and attitudes underpinning a Culture of Peace. EIU also necessarily catalyzes critical empowerment for positive transformations in all areas of life.
Regional Centre for Adult Education
Established as a UNESCO Category 2 Centre in 2014
The centre aims to develop the capacities of Arab States for formulate, policies, prepare plans, and design and implement literacy and adult education programmes within a lifelong learning framework. It also aims to catalyse actions in the Arab region to scale up literacy action and increase the literacy rates to reach the EFA goals and create a more inclusive, sustainable literate society.
The main activities of the Centre are to
- Train specialists in the field of literacy and adult education;
- Train leaders in the field of literacy;
- Conduct research on adult education and human investment; and,
- Disseminate knowledge and resources in the field of literacy and adult education, especially among concerned institutions in the Arab Region.
Centre International pour L’Education des Filles et des Femmes en Afrique
(International Centre for Women’s and Girls’ Education)
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso
Established as a UNESCO Category 2 Centre in 2006
The Centre aims to develop the necessary policies, lines of actions, strategies and guidance to all relevant stakeholders in addressing gender equality, equity, leadership and advocacy in the learning environment in order to develop gender-responsive schools that will increase girls’ access and their retention within the educational systems in Africa in view of a broader analysis of the situation of girls and women’s education and training across the continent.
The goal of centre is to promote girls and women’s education with a view towards their full participation in the eradication of poverty and the edification of a peaceful world for sustainable human development, with the objectives are to:
- Promote girls’ and women’s education at primary, secondary and tertiary levels;
- Promote gender mainstreaming in education policies and development programmes;
- Build the operational capacities of Member States on girls and women’s education issues;
- Establish network for information and experience sharing on girls and women’s education;
- Develop strategies and innovative approaches for advocacy and a fruitful partnership to promote and consolidate girls and women’s education;
- Promote research on girls and women’s Education issues ;
- Conduct observatory activities on the status of education and training for girls and women in Africa;
- Organize training on information and data collection, management and programmatic use;
- Monitor and report on decisions and programmes implementation at national, regional and continental levels.
The specific objectives aim to contribute to the: Building, at national and regional levels, of capacities in modern planning of girls’ and women’s education
International Mother Language Institute
Established as a UNESCO Category 2 Centre in 2016
The Centre aims to act as a regional hub to conduct research to promote and protect all mother languages included those on the verge of extinction or already extinct. The objectives of the Institute are to develop and strengthen education systems by paying special attention to the promotion of mother language education and learning, as well as to to conduct research for the documentation and development of mother languages of the world to promote multilingual education. Its functions include:
- Engagement in activities related to knowledge creation and sharing, capacity development and policy advice which focus on the key role of mother language education and learning;
- The design of new approaches of learning and develop body of knowledge on the role and potential contribution of mother language education towards the construction of inclusive learning societies;
- The documentation and conducting of comparative research on relevant teacher training, curriculum development and educational strategies employed to link mother language education with national or majority language education;
- Documentation, research and promotion of the dynamic linkages between practices of mother language education and artistic expression.
International Research and Training Centre for Rural Education (INRULED)
Established as a UNESCO Category 2 Centre in 1994
International Research and Training Centre for Rural Education (INRULED) is a UNESCO category 2 centre and the only agency engaged in research and training for rural education under the auspices of UNESCO. INRULED is commissioned to initiate and facilitate activities focused on exchange and popularization of experiences for international rural education within the broader framework of Education-for-All (EFA), to undertake human resource training programs for international rural education, and to serve extensively the UNESCO member countries, especially the global developing countries.
The centre aims to promote sustainable socio-economic development in rural areas through educational research, training and extension activities, by bringing about positive changes in thinking and behavior of rural people, who make up the majority of the world's population. Its actitivities include:
- international research and development of methods and techniques of rural education;
- consultation and cooperation among member states by devising policies and strategies in the areas of human resource development for rural areas;
- the creation a wide network for exchange of academic and technical information in the field of rural education among experts in various countries;
- cooperative research activities and provide expertise, advice, and facilities for laboratory research and field work to international experts;
- the organization of international training workshops and seminars on special subjects and provide fellowships for international research;
- the production and dissemination of publications and materials for the various projects undertaken by the Centre.
Address: UNESCO International Research and Training Centre for Rural Education, 19 Xin Jie Kou Wai Da Jie, Handian District, Beijing 100875, PRC.
Tel: +86 10 58801920/ 58801922
Web site : http://www.inruled.org/en/about_inruled/
Regional Centre for Early Childhood Care and Education in the Arab States
Established as a UNESCO Category 2 Centre in 2010
The Centre is currently focusing on training about child protection, psychological health and teaching and learning. It organizes workshops for kindergarten teachers and conducts awareness raising activities on early childhood issues in local communities. Training teams from the Centre run courses in several Syrian provinces.
The Centre will also provide training to senior policy makers on early childhood development, facilitate access to professional technical information in Arabic and offer training in applied research through fact-finding missions and other initiatives in the region. It has as objectives to
- Build national and regional capacity for ECCE, promote collaboration and strengthen networks for knowledge transfer in the field of ECCE.
- Contribute to the achievement of the United Nations Millennium Development Goals and the achievement of the Dakar Framework for Action Education for All Goals by 2015.
- Train senior officials of regional Ministries of Education, other ministries and agencies related to ECCE (Health and Social Welfare Ministries, NGOs, civil society associations) in policy development processes in ways which allow on-the-job training
The functions of the Centre include:
- The facilitation of awareness among regional Ministries of Education concerning crucial ECCE development issues which are of priority for the countries of the region.
- "Train the trainers" programmes for ECCE workforce upgrading with special emphasis on pre primary teachers as a priority for the two to three years to come.
- The facilitation of access to professional technical information in Arabic on educational policy development issues as well as workforce upgrading issues from other countries of the region relevant to ECCE.
- The training of the regional professional and academic ECCE workforce in applied research by undertaking fact-finding and analysis work focused on specific needs of the countries of the Arab region.
Telephone (mobile): 0933756452. (Mrs Kifah Haddad, Director)
Regional Centre for Educational Planning
Sharjah, United Arab Emirates
Established as a UNESCO Category 2 Centre in 2003
This regional centre aims to enhance and support the endeavours of educational systems in the region through training, consultancy, and the dissemination of knowledge in the realm of educational planning, management and leadership; additionally, to build human resource capacities. The objectives of the Center are to:
- build national and regional capacity for modern educational planning in the Gulf States and Yemen;
- facilitate access to information on educational planning and management.
These objectives are implemented through training in all aspects of educational planning, applied educational research, as well as through awareness raising activities with regard to specific sector development issues. The center has been collaborating with the International Institute of Education Planning (IIEP) and other organizations for this purpose.
Southeast Asia Centre of Lifelong Learning for Sustainable Development
Pasay City, Philippines
Established as a UNESCO Category 2 Centre in 2009
The Center for Lifelong Learning for Sustainable Development assists lifelong learners and providers in the South-east Asian subregion pursuant to the goal of promoting lifelong learning for sustainable development. The objectives of the Center are:
- The provision of leadership and research training on lifelong learning for sustainable development
- The promotion of the development of instructional materials and brochurse to promote both leadership and research skills
- The incubation and pilot testing of lifelong learning and education for sustainable development (ESD) innovations in South East Asia to build literacy programmes
- The exchange of resources, information and networks to promote grate knowledge on lifelong learning programmes and education for sustainable development; and,
- The establishment of a continuous dialogue with UNESCO offices and units in the promotion of ESD and lifelong learning.
Address: Department of Foreign Affairs, 2330 Roxas Boulevard, Pasay City, Philippines 1300
Telephone Number: + (632) 834 3447
International Centre for Higher Education Innovation
Established as a UNESCO Category 2 Centre in 2016
ICHEI aims to exploit the potentials of Information and Communication Technologies (ICTs) to support higher education in areas such as expansion, quality assurance, and equity promotion in developing countries by drawing upon the strength of China’s vast higher education system and the lessons learned from the advancement of higher education innovation in the developed nations of the Asia-Pacific region. Through the four functions of knowledge production, capacity building, technical support and information sharing the centre strives to:
- Improve knowledge to address challenges in higher education innovation relating to quality, equity, and governance in less developed countries in the Asia-Pacific;
- Provide evidence based policy advice on higher education innovation to less developed countries in the Asia-Pacific.
- Enhance capacity of policy makers, institutional leaders, and administrators to improve performance of public higher education institutions through the application of ICTs for innovation in management and improved gender equality;
- Enhance capacity of faculty in the application of ICTs to improve teaching and learning processes, especially for girls and disadvantaged sections of society;
- Enhance capacity of public higher education institutions and systems to improve collaboration in the application of ICTs in higher education innovation through North-South and South-South cooperation.
- Improve quality of policy as well as professional and technical advice for developing countries, increase opportunities for research collaboration and student and faculty exchange;
- Enhance partnerships with ICT enterprises.
- Improve platforms for sharing experiences and lessons learned in higher education innovation, particularly among developing countries;
- Increase data quality and information of higher education innovation and informatization shared with institutions in developing countries through our website and newsletters;
- Disseminate high quality publications of exemplary practices in higher education innovation.
Address: ICHEI, Southern University of Science and Technology(SUSTech), No.1088, Xueyuan Blvd., Nanshan District, Shenzhen, China
Tel: 86-755-8801 0927 86-755-8801 0922
Web site: en.ichei.org
Regional Centre for Quality and Excellence in Education
Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
Established as a UNESCO Category 2 Centre in 2014
The Center aims to disseminate the culture of quality and excellence in educational systems through the development of policies based on best international experiences and research findings in this field, as well as to provide related training programmes.
The objectives of the centre is to promote quality and excellence in education across the Arab region, through:
- Fostering the culture of quality and excellence;
- Disseminating knowledge and best practices;
- Providing consultations, applied research and capacity building programs;
- Coordinating regional efforts in enhancing the educational experience.
RCQE defines four strategic goals to be realised during the period from 2015 to 2020. These goals are:
- The development of high quality research programmes related to quality and excellence in education to meet the needs of Arab states;
- The promotion and development of capacity building initiatives serving the needs of educators and policy makers;
- The provision of technical support, practical ideas and best practices related to quality teaching and learning;
- The oversight and management of aid programs related to quality and excellence in education across the Arab Region.
Street address: DQ , Amro Aldamari st., P.O.Box: 94966 Zipcode : 11614 Riyadh – Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
Postal address: P.O.Box: 94966, 6934 Amr Ibn Ummiyyah Ad Damri St., Diplomatic Quarter, Riyadh, 11614, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
Web site: http://rcqe.org/
South Asian Centre for Teacher Development
Meepe, Sri Lanka
Established as a UNESCO Category 2 Centre in 2014
The centre aims to contribute regionally to the overall improvement of high quality teacher development, aiming at the holistic development of the teaching force in the South Asian countries. It furthermore provides an advocacy role for the transformation of the teacher development process in the South Asian region, emphasizing the development of innovative approaches, as well as research and information sharing within the mandates of the countries concerned. The centre’s activities are within the following areas:
- professional development of teacher educators/counsellors/advisers/mentors for school-based teacher development;
- research and development in teacher education;
- teacher curriculum development;
- capacity-development in the areas of teachers' ICT competency and e-pedagogy;
- incubation and piloting of inclusive education models within South Asia;
- promotion of education for peace and sustainable development;
- provision of a continuing dialogue within UNESCO offices for purposes of collaboration on improving and raising quality of education worldwide.