Technical Consultation Meeting on the Future of Education for Sustainable Development (ESD)
9-10 July 2018 - The Landmark Hotel - Bangkok, Thailand
In 2014, the UN Decade of Education for Sustainable Development (DESD) came to an end. As the follow up, UNESCO launched the Global Action Programme (GAP) on Education for Sustainable Development at the UNESCO World Conference on Education for Sustainable Development held in Aichi-Nagoya, Japan. It was for an initial phase of five years (2015-2019). To build on the efforts made by the Decade for advocacy and awareness raising, the GAP, acknowledged by the UN General Assembly as the official follow-up to the Decade, focused on the scaling up of actions on the ground. Policy, education institutions, educators, youth and local communities were identified as five Priority Action Areas for implementation.
The 5-year timeframe of the GAP is due to end in 2019. To build a post-GAP vision, a draft position paper has been prepared through a series of experts’ meetings as well as a desk review of related literature and results of the mid-term GAP implementation.
This draft will be reviewed by stakeholders for their feedbacks through a series of consultations. This technical consultation meeting will be a key opportunity for the UNESCO Member States and Associate Members to provide valuable inputs on the future direction of ESD. A revised draft will subsequently be submitted to the UNESCO Executive Board, the General Conference and the UN for their respective approval processes in 2019.
The meeting is generously funded by the Government of Japan.
- Ensure a transparent, participatory preparation of the post- Global Action Programme through collecting input from the UNESCO Member States and Associate Members
- Invite commitment and ownership of the UNESCO Member States and Associate Members in the process
- Take on board the views of UNESCO Member States and Associate Members on the direction of the Future of ESD
- Mobilize UNESCO Member States and Associate Members for further ESD action
Nominated participants of UNESCO Member States and Associate Members from Ministries of Education and other Ministries responsible for ESD.
Follow us on social media via the hashtag #ESDfor2030 and
the ESD Facebook page
- 25.06.2018 - UNESCO consults Member States and Associate Members on future of Education for Sustainable Development
|Education for Sustainable Development: Children speak up!||Think, Live and Act together. Be part of the change through ESD||
Mapping the future of Education for Sustainable Development