Two workshops were carried out in DRC from October 22th to 24th, one to improve the management in radio stations and the other on financial planning and budgeting of local radio stations.
The trainings improved skills of eight participants (3 women), including 4 radio managers and 4 finance officers. These attendants represent radio stations with an average of 9 years of existence and who had already undergone several trainings with foreign partners. Trainers in charge of the UNESCO workshops were Professor Edgard Makunza Keke, from the Catholic University in Congo, and Françoise Mukuku, from the Amazon Consultancy Institution (formerly in the administrative staff of UN Radio Okapi).
Mr. Victor Kitembo, Programme Officer at the Swedish Embassy in Kinshasa, opened the workshop and handed computer equipment, financial management software and SMS management software to radios, together with the Head Office and UNESCO Representative of Kinshasa.
Strengthen the capacity of radio planning and control of financial resources (revenues and expenditures, budgeting, cash flow forecasts and growth plans)
- Build capacity to use ICT for planning and financial management, including Internet applications;
- Radio station acquire regular financial practices (production of financial statements to present to community members and donors),
- Improving radio stations’ principles and values in finance (transparency, efficiency, accountability, trust);
The methodology included theories of management, planning and financial management as well as questions about the gap that exists between theory and practice, followed by discussion and sharing of experiences. Following this approach, participatory and interactive activities were held in the following format:
- Exposed participants to the operation of the radio chart, financial, and managerial practices;
- Presentation and discussions with trainers on the training modules;
- Sharing of management experience with local radio managers.
UNESCO proposed that local radio stations presented plans that apply lessons learned, indicating ways they can enhance their management. Radio managers had assumed firm commitments to improve the performance of their radio stations with the following:
- Establish a contract of employment for all employees of the radio;
- Review accounting and financial processes;
- Implement inventory management, archiving and resources management;
- Regularize the operation documents of the radio;
- Implement budget planning.