89.5 Speak FM “Voices Unlimited” is a nonpartisan community radio station affiliated to the Forum For Women in Democracy (FOWODE), a Non-Governmental Organization engaged in advocacy, training, research and publication to promote gender equality in all areas of decision making, envisioning a just and fair society where women and men equally participate in and benefit from decision making processes.
Speak FM is situated on Plot 15, Alii Openy Road in Gulu Municipality, Uganda. The radio started broadcasting programmes on 1 August 2011. Strategically located in the heart of Gulu town, Speak FM serves a large market that stretches from Gulu, Kitgum, Amuru, Oyam, Pader, Nwoya, Agago to parts of Lira, Apac, Pakwac and Kotido. The radio broadcast in local languages including Acholi, Luo, English and partly Swahili.
The station’s vision is to empower communities for a just, inclusive and accountable society, and their mission is to advance the participation of women and men in good governance and development and promote gender equality, through information sharing, advocacy and public debate.
The project "Empowering Local Radio with ICTs" conducted a research together with local radio stations to identify main issues of local public concern. In Speak FM’s coverage area they are:
- Malaria / HIV & Aids / Hepatitis B and Cancer awareness
- Hygiene and preventive health
- Sensitization to healthy diet choices
- Community cooperation
- Education of farmers on business and farm management
- Provision of agricultural market information
Public services delivery
- Greater communication between the public and the public service
- Address issues of interest to the community, such as Health, Farming and Education
- Issue of public service staff absenteeism
Plot 15, Alii Openy Road