The 2021 call for nominations is closed. The laureates will be announced in due course.
Who can be nominated?
Institutions, organizations or other entities engaged in Education for Sustainable Development (ESD). Nominations must focus on a specific ESD project or programme of the nominee, meeting the eligibility criteria.
Who can submit nominations?
Nominations can be submitted to the Director-General of UNESCO by Governments of Member States via their Permanent Delegation to UNESCO, and by Non-Governmental Organizations (NGOs) in official partnership with UNESCO. Each Permanent Delegation or NGO can make up to three nominations for any edition of the Prize. Self-nominations are not accepted.
How to submit nominations?
1. Complete the online nomination form
The nomination form must be completed online in English or French via a dedicated platform (for nominating entities only - the fields of the nomination form are described in the explanatory note). (for nominating entities only - the fields of the nomination form are described in the explanatory note).
- Nominations must be completed online by the Permanent Delegation to UNESCO of the concerned Member State, or by an NGO in official partnership with UNESCO.
- It is possible for National Commissions to UNESCO to access and complete the online form. However, any nomination by a National Commission will need to be submitted by the Permanent Delegation to UNESCO of the respective Member State. An automatic notification message will be sent to the official e-mail address of the Delegation to this end.
- If a National Commission or Permanent Delegation to UNESCO wishes that the form be completed electronically by the nominees, UNESCO can provide the nominees an access to the platform. A request should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. After completion of the online form by the nominee, the concerned National Commission and Permanent Delegation will receive a notification e-mail and can review the nomination before the Permanent Delegation submits to UNESCO.
- Attention should be paid to presenting the project/programme of the nominee in a clear and structured way, following the instructions given in the form.
- All supporting material (e.g. publications, photos, videos) must be transmitted electronically through the online system.
- While completing the form, please also keep in mind that the project/programme will be assessed by the Jury on the basis of the selection criteria.
2. Submit the online nomination form
- Nominations have to be submitted in the online system by the concerned Permanent Delegations to UNESCO or the NGO by midnight of 30 April 2021 (UTC+1, Paris time).
- Kindly note that each Permanent Delegation or NGO may not submit more than three nominations.
For any questions regarding the UNESCO-Japan Prize on ESD or the submission process, please contact the Secretariat of the Prize at the Section of Education for Sustainable Development of UNESCO at email@example.com. Please also check our replies to Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ).