Before applying for official partnership or official relations, carefully read the relevant Directives and make sure your organization/institution fulfils all the necessary criteria.
Applications are reviewed according to the criteria established in the Directives concerning UNESCO’s partnership with non-governmental organizations, or the Directives concerning official relations with foundations and similar institutions, as applicable.
Requests are processed through an internal evaluation procedure involving all concerned UNESCO services. Additionally, in the case of national and local NGOs, as well as foundations and similar non-governmental institutions, consultations also involve National Commissions for UNESCO (or competent authorities) of the Member State on whose territory the organization or institution concerned has its headquarters.
Provided that an NGO or foundation fulfills all the essential criteria established in the relevant Directives, its request will be evaluated guided by the following considerations:
- the extent of the joint activities already implemented by the NGO/Foundation and UNESCO in recent years, and the existing cooperation with National Commissions for UNESCO;
- the potential for future cooperation and synergy;
- impact of the NGO/foundation’s action in the field;
- cooperation with other organizations of the United Nations system or other intergovernmental organizations.
Requests for official partnership (NGOs) or official relations (Foundations) may be submitted at any time to the Director-General, accompanied by the application form, duly filled, and complete documentation concerning the organization or institution (the form also includes a checklist, for your reference). Please note that incomplete requests, as well as requests not fulfilling essential criteria, may not be considered.
Requests shall be made formally in writing (including electronically) and sent to the Unit for Civil Society Partnerships (firstname.lastname@example.org). A hardcopy of the request may also be sent by mail (UNESCO, 7 Place de Fontenoy, 75732 Paris Cedex 7SP, France). The evaluation process may take up to a year. The requesting organization/institution will be officially informed of the final decision upon completion of the whole process.
- Directives concerning UNESCO’s partnership with non-governmental organization
- Directives concerning UNESCO’s relations with foundations and similar institutions
- List of NGOs in official partnership with UNESCO
- List of foundations in official relations with UNESCO
- Comprehensive Partnership Strategy
- Back to 'NGOs and Foundations'