Through the actions of its Goodwill Ambassadors, Artists for Peace and Champions, UNESCO raises public awareness of its mandate and programmes. Once appointed, these personalities agree to use their talent and fame to carry high UNESCO’s values and goals, through the events that they organize, the projects that they carry out and the debates in which they participate.
The UNESCO Goodwill Ambassadors programme also increases the visibility of UNESCO's actions to make them more widely known to decision-makers and the general public, and, in some cases, to raise funds.
UNESCO Goodwill Ambassadors, Artists for Peace and Champions are designated by the Director-General for a period of two years, which may be renewed.
Individuals invited to serve as UNESCO Goodwill Ambassadors, Artists for Peace and Champions shall:
- Be widely recognized for their talent and accomplishments in the arts, sciences, literature, entertainment, sport or other fields of public life;
- Be persons of integrity who demonstrate a strong desire to help mobilize public interest in, and support for, the purposes and principles of the United Nations and UNESCO, and who demonstrate the commitment and proven potential to reach out to significant audiences, including decision-makers;
- Possess the personality and dignity required to act in the capacity of a high-level representative;
- Be influential beyond national borders, to promote the values of the United Nations internationally;
- Be knowledgeable about United Nations and UNESCO’s goals and activities and be able to articulate them.
Cooperation is facilitated by a Plan of Action established in liaison with each personality. These Plans of Action include activities related to one or several of UNESCO’s fields of competence and all communication aspects.
Information on UNESCO's actions is regularly shared with Goodwill Ambassadors, Artists for Peace and Champions.
Personalities who have served UNESCO for a long period may, after notification, bear the title of Goodwill Ambassador Emeritus.
Only personalities who appear on our list can claim the title of UNESCO Goodwill Ambassador, UNESCO Artist for Peace or UNESCO Champion.
The UNESCO Goodwill Ambassadors programme is aligned with the United Nations Guidelines.
For any additional information, please contact us.