In response to the difficult ethical issues raised in our global efforts combating the COVID-19 pandemic, UNESCO’s International Bioethics Committee (IBC) and World Commission on the Ethics of Scientific Knowledge and Technology (COMEST) have jointly issued a Statement on COVID-19: Ethical Considerations from a Global Perspective.
This Statement issued by the IBC and COMEST, two international advisory bodies of UNESO in the field of bioethics and ethics of science and technology, highlighted some vital ethical issues from a global perspective which urgently need to be recognized all over the world, and appeal for urgent actions to be taken by governments. The Statement is available in English (https://unesdoc.unesco.org/ark:/48223/pf0000373115) and French (https://unesdoc.unesco.org/ark:/48223/pf0000373115_fre).
UNESCO webinar series on “Bioethics and Corona responses in the Arab region” (April 2020) aim to provide a set of recommendations to minimize the number of difficult choices health care providers must make and ensure that when they are made, it is for the right reasons.
The first edition entitled “Covid-19 : which impact on bioethics in the Arab region?” was organized on 9 April 2020:
- Facilitator: Dr. Michel Daher Professor of Surgery, University of Balamand, and Saint Georges Hospital and Beirut CHU, General Secretary of Lebanese National Consultative committee on Ethics (CoCNLE)
- Dr. Fady Abou Mrad, Neurologist, Member of the Lebanese National Consultative committee on Ethics (CoCNLE), Lebanon: https://wetransfer.com/downloads/ea0a5b6dc040b0b356a4510ff389c46c20200416091933/fa7269e26fa91057d57f748aa2a059fc20200416091955/0db6e3
- Dr. Bahaa Darwish, Professor of Philosophy, Al Minia University (Egypt); Member of International Bioethics Committee (IBC): https://wetransfer.com/downloads/334bb32e093677e847e574feb5a1906520200416091611/8b50f5af829102390af5f98a5828a70320200416091640/c66e22
- Dr. Nagi Souaiby, chief Editor of Med Emergency the Mediterranean Journal of Emergency Medicine, Lebanon; Member of GREM (Groupe de Réflexion sur l’Ethique en Méditerranée): https://wetransfer.com/downloads/c818059279f8c63dfd91b7a56c9a8a2a20200416094050/46a2f2f31ece08872a568b0c7e1a3c7420200416094108/aa3a1d
- Dr. Dina Shokry , Professor of Medicine, Cairo University; Chair of National Research Ethics Committee, Egypt: https://wetransfer.com/downloads/4b538900b0a2cb9f6ab0d119878df29e20200416091757/1121b3e31c28c9c37dc86c21d8312a5d20200416091820/aff94a
Below are the some written reports from the webinar.
Another webinar on “Bioethics and Covid-19 in the Arab region” on 21 April 2020. Three experts shared their views and recommendations from ethical perspectives. Presentations and facilitated discussions by Dr. Bahaa Darwich - Professor of Philosophy, Al Minia University, Egypt; Member of International Bioethics Committee (IBC) are available in the document below (the hyperlinks for the audio files expire on 1 May).