Villa Ocampo, or UNESCO in Argentina

11/10/2018

In 1947, Julian Huxley, UNESCO’s first Director-General, was received by the Argentinian intellectual and philanthropist Victoria Ocampo (1890-1979). This meeting allowed her to see just how much her opinions on women’s rights and her openness to the ideas of others were in harmony with the ideals promoted by UNESCO. In 1973, she donated Villa Ocampo, her house in San Isidro, near Buenos Aires, to the Organization.

Today, Villa Ocampo is the Argentinian office of UNESCO’s Regional Bureau for the Sciences in Latin America and the Caribbean, a place for study and debate, and a museum and documentation centre, with a collection of over 11,000 books, 2,500 journals and 1,000 photographs. In 2017, it was inscribed on UNESCO’s Memory of the World Register, a programme for the preservation of documentary heritage.

The Transatlantic Dialogues in Villa Ocampo programme, which began in 2015, contributes to Villa Ocampo’s  role as an observatory and laboratory for ideas.

Go back to the article: Heritage for hire: a good idea?