Post Title: Senior Secretarial Assistant; Domain: Director's Office; Post Number: EU/TP/ITA/SC/0900; Grade: GS-7; Organizational Unit: Abdus Salam International Centre for Theoretical Physics; Primary Location: Trieste, Italy; Recruitment open to: Internal and external candidates; Type of contract: Fixed-Term; Annual salary: Euro 51,465; Deadline (midnight Trieste time): December 19, 2014
OVERVIEW OF THE FUNCTIONS OF THE POST
The incumbent is expected to assist the Director in the coordination of the activities of the Directorate. Essential responsibilities include:
- To ensure the implementation and follow-up of decisions made and instructions issued by the Director. To follow up on the prepariation and review of all correspondence, and to recommend the final style in accordance with ICTP standards.
- To draft correspondence for own signature and for the Director's signature on routine and non-routine matters.
- To identify complex and/or sensitive subjects and to define priority issues that need to be brought to the Director's attention.
- To maintain the Director's calendar, establishing priorities in arranging meetings, invitations, engagements and other appointments. To make necessary arrangements for the Director's official travels.
- To organize the visits of guests invited by the Director to visit ICTP, ensuring that all the administrative procedures are followed.
- To organize high level meetings in all aspects, including taking responsibilities for finalisation of the agenda.
- To prepare purchase requistions within the Financial Management (FABS).
- To take care of all administrative matters related to the award of the ICTP's Dirac Medal and the ICTP Prize.
- To facilitate the administrative workflow of the Director's office; to provide admistrative support to the Director and the Institute Advancement Office in fund-raising activities.
- Secondary education.
- At least 10 years of progressively responsible experience in providing administrative and secretarial services to a high level official responsible for an organisational component comprising various programmes and activities, in dealing with high level officials within the organisation and in other international organisations/ institutions.
- Knowledge of the work of a Director's Office, in particular related to confidential and sensitive matters as well as knowledge of the role, objectives, management structure and processes of UNESCO or other organisations, in order to be able to provide senior level secretarial services to the Director.
- Excellent communication, coordination, organisation and computer skills.
- Discretion, tact, diplomacy, teamwork, initiative and readiness to provide quality and timely support and services to the Director, and to deal with staff at all levels within ICTP.
- Discretion, tact, diplomacy, political sensitivity and politeness to deal with high level officials in other international and country organizations, as well as with individuals requesting information.
- Flexibility to adjust work schedules and priorities.
- Excellent knowledge of written and spoken English and Italian.
BENEFITS AND ENTITLEMENTS
This is an extra-budgetary position of a continuing nature but the duration of the appointment will be subject to the availability of funds. For this post, the net annual remuneration will start at Euro 51,465.00 and is exempt from income tax. UN Pension plan and medical insurance provided.
Candidates should use ICTP's online application system which is accessible via ICTP's intranet site at http://www.ictp.it/about-ictp/personnel-office/employment.aspx
For information: Personnel Office, Abdus Salam International Centre for Theoretical Physics, Strada Costiera, 11, 34151 Trieste, Italy.
E-mail: email@example.com, phone: +39-040-2240-595/596/695
A WRITTEN EXAMINATION MAY BE USED IN THE EVALUATION OF CANDIDATES.
The TORs are available for download from the right menu