Post Title: National Project Officer
Type of contract: Service Contract
Grade/Level: SB4/Step 2 (salary of USD 28,704/annum, including social and medical benefit)
Location: UNESCO Office, Ha Noi, Viet Nam
Duration: One year with extension subject to satisfactory performance
Deadline (midnight, Ha Noi time): 29 November 2019
Under a new project on Support to Education Sector Analysis and Development of Education Development Strategic Plan (EDSP) 2021-2030 in Viet Nam, funded by the Global Partnership for Education (GPE) Education Sector Plan Development Grant (ESPDG), UNESCO will play a role of the Grant Agent of the GPE and collaborate with the Education Sector Group (ESG) members to assist the Ministry of Education and Training (MOET) in conducting an education sector analysis and developing a new 10-year education development strategic plan (EDSP) 2021-2030.
The Viet Nam Institute of Educational Sciences (VNIES) has been assigned as a national focal point for the education sector plan development process by the Minister of Education and Training. VNIES will also be an Implementing Partner of UNESCO.
The UNESCO International Institute for Educational Planning (IIEP) has been requested by the MOET to accompany the national education sector plan development process, share its technical expertise and strengthen national institutional capacities.
Under the overall authority of the Head of UNESCO Ha Noi Office and under the technical supervision of the Education Programme Specialist, the selected National Project Officer will plan, implement, coordinate and monitor the project on Support to Education Sector Analysis and Development of Education Development Strategic Plan (EDSP) 2021-2030 in Viet Nam and undertake the following assignments:
- Oversee the implementation of the project, ensuring the achievement of the project objectives, implementation of the proposed activities and production of the outputs/deliverables as per the approved project document and work plans;
- Oversee the financial and administrative aspects of the project and make revisions of the work plans and budget in the course of implementation, as necessary, in consultation with the Administration Section of UNESCO Ha Noi Office and the relevant sections at UNESCO Headquarters;
- Organize individual activities, mobilize experts, both from the UNESCO and outside national and international consultants, and make logistical arrangements related to the project implementation, in consultation with the VNIES and the IIEP;
- Coordinate and supervise activities in close consultation with the government counterparts, including the MOET, the provincial Departments of Education and Training (DOETs) and ESG members;
- Undertake specific technical tasks in order to achieve the project objectives linked to the implementation of the work plans under the project;
- Work with the communication officer to provide regular inputs about the project activities for website and other visibility means;
- Ensure all key stakeholders are informed on a regular basis on progress of the project;
- Report on the progress of activities on a regular basis (e.g. monthly) to the Education Programme Specialist;
In addition to the UNESCO’s core values, the successful candidate will be required to demonstrate expertise, for example, in the following areas:
- Results focus
- Planning and organizing
- Building partnerships
For detailed information, please consult UNESCO Competencies Framework: https://en.unesco.org/sites/default/files/Competency%20Framework_E.pdf
- Advanced university degree (masters or equivalent) in the relevant fields, such as Education, Social Sciences, and International Development; specializations in education are most desired;
- At least five (5) years of relevant professional experiences in working on education;
- Sound knowledge of the major development issues with regards to education in Viet Nam;
- Strong interpersonal and networking skills;
- Highly organized and selfmotivated;
- Capacity to collaborate and positively engage with a range of partners and beneficiaries, including national/local authorities as well as key stakeholders in civil society, national and international NGOs;
- Demonstrated personal sensitivity and commitment to the values and principles of equity, gender equality and cultural diversity;
- Excellent computing skills including MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook and related programmes; and
- Prior UN experience is an asset.
- Excellent written and spoken English.
- Excellent written and spoken Vietnamese.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
- UNESCO is a non-smoking organization.
- UNESCO does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process.
- A written test may be used in the evaluation of candidates.
HOW TO APPLY:
A letter of motivation in English (one page) indicating qualifications and experience relevant to the position, together with the completed UN Personal History form (P11) should be sent to the following address:
UNESCO Ha Noi Office
304 Kim Ma Street, Ba Dinh District, Ha Noi