Today, the 3rd preparatory consultation for the second WSIS+10 Review meeting closed with some developments on the review process. Pending the official UN General Assembly decision on the modalities of the WSIS+10 Review process, expected for end of March 2014, ITU announced new dates and locations for the second WSIS+10 Review meeting in 2014 and for its preparatory process.
On 17 February 2014 at ITU in Geneva, at the opening of the 3rd preparatory meeting for the ITU hosted WSIS+10 Review meeting, Mr Touré, Secretary-General of ITU, congratulated UNESCO on its report reviewing its WSIS action. Mr Touré also announced that:
- The 4th physical preparatory meeting for the second, ITU hosted, WSIS+10 Review meeting, initially planned to take place in Egypt, will actually be held in Geneva from 14-18 April 2014.
- An additional, 5th physical preparatory meeting was proposed to be held in Sharm El Sheikh, Egypt from 28-31 May 2014.
- Mr Touré also announced that the High-level meeting will take place from 10-13 June 2014 in Geneva, Switzerland.
Only with this third meeting participants finished with the first reading of the more than 20 documents, prepared for adoption at the second WSIS+10 Review meeting to be held next June. While a number of participants called for producing more succinct text, agreement on wording was often difficult to find and the entire text remains open for input and changes at this point. More information on the process and how to contribute can be found here.
With regards to the Internet Governance Forum (IGF) work, it was announced that Mr Janis Karklins, who led UNESCO’s Communication and Information Sector until December 2013, has been appointed by UNDESA to the Interim Chair of the 2014 IGF and of the Open Consultations and MAG meetings for the 2014 process.
- UNESCO published an advance version of the report reviewing its action in implementing the WSIS outcomes in preparation of the second, ITU hosted WSIS+10 Review meeting.
- First WSIS+10 Event hosted by UNESCO: www.unesco.org/wsis2013
- IGF 2014 Interim Chair: Under-Secretary-General Wu Hongbo has appointed Mr. Jānis Kārkliņš as Interim Chair of 2014 IGF and of the 2014 Open Consultations and MAG meetings. [PDF]