Date Issue: 03 February 2016
Closing Date: 03 March 2016
Post Title: National Professional Officer – Natural Sciences
Post Number: 5SDSC 1000RP
Organizational Unit: Natural Sciences Sector
Primary Location: Khartoum
Recruitment open to: Candidates with Sudanese Nationality
Type of contract: Fixed Term
Annual Salary: 140 525 SDG
Deadline (Midnight Khartoum Time): 03 March 2016
The incumbent will serve as National Professional Officer for Sciences in the UNESCO Office in Khartoum. She/ He will contribute to the design, implementation and coordination of activities carried out under Major Programme II - Natural Sciences in Sudan by preparing projects and in coordinating the implementation of all technical natural sciences cooperation projects in the Office funded through extrabudgetary resources. He/she will also participate in joint programming exercises within the framework of the UN reform, such as ‘Delivering as One’ in the country in the field of sciences, and to the development of strategies and projects for harnessing the potential of Natural Sciences in close cooperation with the responsible Ministries and relevant institutions in Sudan. He/She will work within the framework of UNESCO’s Medium-Term Strategy (C/4s) and global development plans such as the post-2015 Sustainable Development Goals SDGs. Particularly She/he will:
- Provide input, including data and statistics to the preparation of reports on the implementation of programmes and projects (funded within C/5s and by extrabudgetary funds, and other briefings as may be required by Headquarters, the UNESCO Office in Khartoum, UN Country team (UNCT), using relevant tools, including the System of Information on Strategies, Tasks and the Evaluation of Results (SISTER).
- Contribute to planning, developing and implementing outreach strategies aimed at program expansion; support the organization of consultations with national authorities; and assist in developing strategies and policies in the area of Man and Biosphere, Water, Science and Technology, Climate change to government, civil society organizations and the private sector.
- Maintain a knowledge base on the program; contribute to policy through identifying and analyzing available research; provide information and data for the preparation of background documents and reports; and facilitate exchange of information of best practices. Provide regular news and information and data for the preparation of background documents and reports.
- Advanced university degree (Masters or equivalent) preferably in the field of sustainable environmental development or water resources management or earth sciences or in other natural sciences and engineering fields with a relevant combination of professional and academic qualifications.
- Up to 2 years of professional experience in the area of Environment, Natural Sciences, Biology, or equivalent.
- Experience in working in the implementation of national and sub-regional projects in the area.
- Experience to work in a multicultural environment.
- Experience in fund-raising and resource mobilization through negotiation with financial donors.
Skills / Competencies
- Good analytical skills. Excellent organizational and coordination skills.
- Proven competency on project management;
- Good IT skills, ability to work in a multicultural environment, excellent interpersonal skills.
- Ability to build, maintain and enhance working relations with national/local authorities as well as key stakeholders in the civil society, such as national and international NGOs in the cluster countries and the region.
- Excellent knowledge of English. Very good speaking and writing knowledge of Arabic.
- 2 years acquired at international level preferably in an international organization and/or at a relevant research institution.
- Experience working in the scientific community, and with government representatives and officials.
- Knowledge of UN reform, such as Delivering as One, Common Country Assessment (CCA), United Nations Development Assistance Framework (UNDAF), Country Programme Document (CPDs), Country Programme Action Plan (CPAPs).
- Knowledge of other official UN Language would be an asset.
BENEFITS AND ENTITLEMENTS
UNESCO’s salaries in Khartoum are paid in Sudanese Pounds, exempt from income tax. The annual salary for this post will start from 140 525 SDG. Other benefits include: 30 days annual leave, family allowance, medical insurance and pension plan.
HOW TO APPLY
All the candidates should submit their application letter and CV using UNESCO CV Standard (http://www.unesco.org/new/fileadmin/MULTIMEDIA/HQ/ED/pdf/UNE...) and send to:
email@example.com. Please clearly indicate in the subject of your application message the post title and post number.
Applications with no such indication in the subject line or CV not provided in the UNESCO CV standard form (attached) will not be considered.
A WRITTEN EXAMINATION MAY BE USED IN THE EVALUATION OF CANDIDATES
UNESCO does not charge a fee at any state of the recruitment process
Please note that UNESCO is a non-smoking Organization