On the occasion of International Holocaust Remembrance Day, commemorated each year on 27 January, UNESCO is mobilizing to honor and reaffirm its commitment to the fight against anti-Semitism, racism and any other form of intolerance.
From 22 to 25 January, UNESCO, in partnership with the Holocaust Memorial, is organizing a series of events to commemorate the day whose theme this year is Holocaust Remembrance and Education: Our Shared Responsibility.
- 22 January (8 pm, Room I): Screening of the film The Four Sisters: The Hippocratic Oath - Ruth Elias, in presence of the director, Claude Lanzmann and the Director-General of UNESCO, Audrey Azoulay. This is the first part of a tetralogy to be broadcast soon on French- German TV, ARTE.
- January 25 (3:30 pm, Room IV): Round table on " Holocaust Remembrance and Education: Our Shared Responsibility",with:
- Serge Klarsfeld, lawyer, historian, UNESCO Special Envoy for Education about the Holocaust and the Prevention of Genocide;
- Henry Rousso, historian, Research-Director at the French National Center for Scientific Research (CNRS);
- Floriane Hohenberg, Director of the International Tracing Service (Germany);
- Doudou Diène, lawyer, former United Nations Special Rapporteur on contemporary forms of racism, racial discrimination, xenophobia and related intolerance (Senegal).
- 25 January (5:30 pm, UNESCO (outdoor wall)): Opening in the presence of the Director-General of UNESCO, Audrey Azoulay, of the exhibition #StolenMemory on the work of restitution of the personal belongings of the detainees of the concentration camps, carried out by the International Tracing Service of Bad Arolsen.
- 25 January 18h30 (Room I): Ceremony dedicated to the memory of the victims of the Holocaust in the presence of the President of the Shoah Memorial, Eric de Rothschild and the Director-General of UNESCO, Audrey Azoulay.
- Testimony of Yvette Lévy, survivor of the Auschwitz camp.
- Concert by the Austrian duo Ariela, who will perform pieces composed by survivors and victims of the Shoah.
- January 26: First official visit of the Director-General of UNESCO, Audrey Azoulay to the Shoah Memorial.
- From January 22 to February 3 (Miró Room): exhibition on the Pogrom of the Night of Crystal, presented by the Shoah Memorial.
The United Nations General Assembly Resolution 60/7 established International Holocaust Remembrance Day in 2005.
Journalists wishing to cover the event should request accreditation
Media Contact Agnès Bardon, UNESCO Press Service, firstname.lastname@example.org
+33 (0)1 45 68 17 64
Accreditation: Djibril Kébé, UNESCO Press Service, email@example.com +33(0)1 45 68 17 41