To celebrate the launch of the Social and Human Science Sector’s new sport-based flagship, Fit for Life, UNESCO is organizing a photo contest to promote equality, empowerment and inclusion through sport.
Fit for Life will unite private and public sector stakeholders through sport to tackle contemporary crises in physical inactivity, mental health issues and inequalities.
Sport has the power to convince, convene and activate. It is a tool to build physical, mental, and societal resilience, deliver values education and promote intercultural dialogue. In a time of compounded inequalities and rising racism, where communities have been devastated by the impacts of COVID-19, sport offers a productive pathway to “rebuild” our societies based on inclusion, human connections and collective wellbeing.
The Fit for Life photo contest is an opportunity for young people around the world to submit entries which illustrate the power and potential of sport as a driver of equality, empowerment, and inclusion.
Who can participate?
Anyone aged from 18 to 35 years old. Participants do not need to be professional photographers, just passionate about sport and the positive role it has played in your life or the lives of others in your community.
30 November 2021, 00:00 CET
Submit a photo or a portfolio of photos (5 maximum) showcasing sport as an engine for equality, empowerment, and/or inclusion to firstname.lastname@example.org . Each submission should include your name, age, and nationality, as well as any copyright considerations; and be accompanied by a 200 words caption (in English, French or Spanish) explaining the context of the photo (who, where) and the message it conveys.
Photo composition and format:
- Your photo should be dynamic and express movement
- Your photo should be in high resolution (at least 2480 x 3720 and minimum 300 dpi)
- Dimensions can either be portrait or landscape, and the format can be either portrait, photojournalism, street photos, or sport photos
- The files bust be named with the photographer’s name and surname followed by the continuing number (for example Name_Surname_1.jpg)
- Your photo must be sent by email, in digital format, as a .jpg file, including RAW file (if applicable)
UNESCO will announce the three winners and seven runners up in December 2021. Winners and runners-up will be contacted directly.
The winners will:
- Receive a 500$ gift card
- Be interviewed for a profile feature on the UNESCO website
- Have their entry exhibited at UNESCO headquarters in 2022, and promoted online on the Organization’s website, social media platforms, in publications and as part of Fit for Life advocacy campaigns
- Be published in the Women Sports (tbc)
- Have their entry exhibited at UNESCO Headquarters in 2022, and promoted online on the Organization’s website, social media platforms, in publications and as part of Fit for Life advocacy campaigns
- UNESCO reserves the right to modify the contest prizes and its rules and regulations as and when necessary, without prior notice.
- To participate in the contest, the photographer must own the rights of the content she/he is submitting.
- By participating in the contest, the photographer holds the copyright to the photos submitted, but UNESCO retains the unlimited right to use the submitted photos for public information purposes in UNESCO’s fields of competence. UNESCO will only use photos for non-commercial purposes which include education and advocacy materials, website, brochures, reports, flyers, at no cost. The photographers will be credited.
- Contest rules