Training Workshop on Tsunami Exercise in Timor Leste
DRRTIU – IOTIC has been implementing the UNESCAP project titled: “Enhancing Tsunami Risk Assessment and Management, Strengthening Policy Support, and Developing Guidelines for Tsunami Exercises in Indian Ocean Countries”. This project managed by the Intergovernmental Coordination Group for the Indian Ocean Tsunami Warning and Mitigation System (ICG/IOTWS) and the UNESCO Office Jakarta through the DRRTI unit - Indian Ocean Tsunami Information Centre (IOTIC).
Two training has been implemented:
- Training Workshop on Supporting Policy for Tsunami Exercise, 3-8 February 2014
- Training workshop on Tsunami Exercise, 14-17 July 2014
These trainings were jointly organized with the National Disaster Management Directorate (NDMD) of the Ministry of Social Solidarity. The objective of these trainings is to support and increase the participation of Timor Leste at the Indian Ocean Wave Exercise that will be conducted on 9-10 September 2014.
These trainings identified and recommended for NDMD and IOTIC to follow up to the ICG/IOTWS on the needs to support Timor Leste on:
- Support to strengthen the National Tsunami Warning Center both in infrastructure and human resource
- Support on strengthen the warning chain and dissemination method of warnings from the National Disaster Operational Centre (NDOC) to the districts and other related stakeholders
- The need for tsunami risk assessment and evacuation planning
- The need for community education and preparedness.