Request for Quotation: Production of a research study on hate speech on line
UNESCO seeks to contract an individual or the organization to produce a research study on the topic of hate speech on line. Research study should be submitted for UNESCO’s approval by 31 December 2014. Interested parties should submit (i) proposal (ii) budget by 25 July 2014.
The study should be high quality research of relevance to UNESCO and its member states as well as to media and academic community and public at large. The contractor selected shall analyze the scope of hate speech online related issues as well as capture the most successful best practices of combating hate speech online. These practices should reflect the diversity of techniques combating variety of forms and methods of hate speech. The study will be published under Creative Commons licence and made available in pdf and epub formats.
Issues to be addressed by the research study:
- Which international, regional and national frameworks, normative guidelines and accountability mechanisms define hate speech in general and hate speech online in particular?
- In which way internet adds to complexity in regulating hate speech online at the national, regional & international levels;
- How does combating hate speech online impacts enabling environment of freedom of expression; how to balance the two;
- What are the most proliferating forms and methods of hate speech online and which are the methodologies to identify and counter them?
- Do journalists and media have to be held responsible for user generated content in the context of combating hate speech?
- How hate speech online could be combated through non legal (non-regulatory) mechanisms? Provide with the best practices aimed to combat hate speech online.
The research process requires:
- A mapping of contributors and issues so as to ensure a global representation and comprehensiveness of issues related to hate speech online is covered;
- Development of specific research questions for these, piloting and then implementation;
- Collection of data, aggregation into a global report;
- Selection of best practices in combating online hate speech;
- Qualitative analysis of the findings and recommendations.
The envisioned output of the research (including number of pages):
- Executive Summary - 1
- Introduction - 2
- Overview - 10
- Methodology - 2
- Research issues & Best practices - 15
- Qualitative findings - 10
- Recommendations - 15
- Bibliography & Appendices - 10
- Total number of pages: 65
To elaborate on the scope of the study UNESCO will provide the selected contractor with an extensive concept note.