A series of videos from UNESCO’s International Ministerial Meeting on homophobic and transphobic violence in education have been launched on social media by The Netherlands. Filmed over the two-day event, the videos follow the individual journeys of key participants as they strive to reduce rates of violence based on sexual orientation and gender identity/expression. They include:
- Ms Jet Bussemaker, Minister of Education, Culture and Science of the Netherlands
- Ms Sonia Marta Mora Escalante, Minister of Public Education of Costa Rica
- Ms Elin Lilijenbladh, Board member of the International lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender and Queer Youth and Student Organisation (IGLYO)
- Mr Tran Khac Tung, Director of the Vietnamese NGO ICS
- Mr Christophe Cornu, UNESCO Senior Programme Specialist
In total, 67 different countries were represented during the meeting; and 250 participants attended, with more than 100 representatives of Ministries, permanent delegations and governments. Along with Norway, the Netherlands was a key supporter of the meeting. Its support and participation have been crucial in helping to raise awareness on the issue of homophobic and transphobic violence in education.
The videos can be found on Facebook at: https://www.facebook.com/Netherlands.UNESCO/