Ministers from UNESCO Member States will gather at the Education Commission where they will hold debates from Thursday 2 November to Saturday 4 November 2017 during the 39th Session of the General Conference of UNESCO.
The first debate will examine items linked to the Education 2030 agenda, including UNESCO’s role in its implementation. The consideration and adoption of the Draft Programme and Budget for 2018-2021 is also one of the items on the agenda.
The second debate will focus on the implementation of the Resolution concerning educational and cultural institutions in the occupied Arab territories, as well as the summary of the reports received from Member States on the measures taken to implement the 1960 Convention and Recommendation against Discrimination in Education. The following items will also be discussed during the second debate:
- The report on the implementation by Member States of the 1974 Recommendation concerning Education for International Understanding Cooperation and Peace and Education relating to Human Rights and Fundamental Freedoms;
- The report on the implementation by Member States of the 1978; the Revised Recommendation concerning the International Standardization of Educational Statistics.
Two items concerning education-related normative instruments will be examined during the third debate: the Progress report on the preparation of a Global Convention on the Recognition of Higher Education Qualifications, and the Preliminary revision of the 1974 Regional Convention on the Recognition of Studies, Diplomas and Degrees in Higher Education in Latin America and the Caribbean.
The fourth debate will look at the Conclusions of the Youth Forum in regards to education.
The fifth debate will focus on issues related to Category 2 Education Centres, and will include the presentations of activities of education-related Category 1 education institutes. The debate will also discuss the following items:
- The establishment of Category 2 institutes and Centres under the auspices of UNESCO
- The proposal for the Establishment in China of a Centre for teacher education at Shanghai Normal University and the establishment in China of an associated schools project network (ASPnet) international centre.
During the fifth debate, the Chairperson will give the floor to the Chairpersons of the governing bodies of UNESCO’s seven education-related Category 1 institutes, who will present their reports on activities during 2016-2017. At the conclusion of each debate, the representatives of the Director-General will reply to questions raised by the delegates. The report of the Commission will be presented directly to the Plenary by the Chairperson for adoption.
- Find out more about UNESCO’s 39th General Conference.