With the aim to empower Youth by involving them in different project implementation stages, UNESCO seeks to work with a Youth Advisory Group to design, implement and evaluate Youth Engagement Activities in Ha Giang, Soc Trang and Ninh Thuan as part of the We are ABLE project, funded by the UNESCO Malala Fund for Girls’ Right to Education.
Issue date : 07 November 2019
Type of contract : Individual Consultant Contract
Organizational Unit : UNESCO Ha Noi Office
Duration : As soon as possible - 28 February 2021
Closing date : 22 November 2019
With the financial support from CJ Group (Republic of Korea), UNESCO started “We are ABLE”, a three-year project that aims to improve access and retention of ethnic minority children, especially girls in lower secondary schools and to improve employability for ethnic minority girls and women in Ha Giang, Soc Trang and Ninh Thuan.
Working together with the Ministry of Education and Training (MOET), the project will cover four main areas of focus:
Enhancing understanding on the importance of girls’ education by allowing the youth, especially young women, to demonstrate how education can positively influence their lives and the lives of their families, friends and communities
Improving employment opportunities for ethnic minority women through targeted career orientation programmes, training on income generation and facilitating access to job opportunities
Fostering a safe and healthy educational environment by enhancing knowledge of gender-based violence in schools and strengthening teachers’ capacities on gender-responsive school counseling
Empowering ethnic minority youth to overcome stereotypes and enhance solidarity with their peers – other Vietnamese youth- across the country
The project believes that it is important for youth to work with local communities and government in a way that allows them to define their objectives and determine their vision. Following an inclusive approach, the project is committed to respecting the traditional cultures of ethnic minority groups, working together with them and local and national authorities to support ethnic minority youth, especially women and girls to give voice to their dreams, aspirations and hopes for the future.
In line with its clear empowering approach, the project aspires to work with an established Youth Advisory Group (YAG) who will take lead in designing, developing and providing capacity building trainings in We are ABLE project schools.
This call for Expression of Interest expects that a team of two consultants will express their interests. The Consultant will work with another Consultant as a team to recruit, supervise, mentor the Youth Advisory Group and support UNESCO Ha Noi in designing and implementing the Youth Engagement activities. Ideally, one Consultant is based in Ha Noi and the second Consultant is based in South Viet Nam for geographical proximity to provinces targeted by We are ABLE project.
Responsibilities of the Consultants
A team of consultants agree to collaborate with UNESCO on We are ABLE project from December 2019 to February 2021 to undertake youth engagement activities in Ha Giang, Soc Trang and Ninh Thuan as follows:
- Recruitment and coordination of YAG
- Identify and select YAG members who are between 18 and 30 years to support the We are ABLE activities. Ensure the YAG is gender balanced.
- Join mission trips to Ha Giang, Soc Trang and Ninh Thuan in December 2019 to conduct focused group discussions with We are ABLE students and parents and develop mission report
- Develop a workplan and budget for the Youth Engagement activities
- Design and co-facilitate an orientation workshop with YAG members, in collaboration with UNESCO
- Coordinate YAG’s work from recruitment to submission of final reports
- Capacity-building trainings in Ha Giang, Soc Trang and Ninh Thuan
- Develop a training guideline including content description of each capacity building training in Ha Giang, Soc Trang and Ninh Thuan
- Prepare training materials including pre- and post training assessment for capacity building trainings in Ha Giang, Soc Trang and Ninh Thuan, with adaption to local context
- Facilitate a series of capacity building trainings in 24 We are ABLE schools
- Report on capacity-building trainings to UNESCO after completion of each training
- Provide mentoring for Youth Groups in 24 We are ABLE schools including supporting We are ABLE students to develop communication outputs to be shared with parents, family members and the school
- Work with UNESCO, the Department of Teachers and Educational Administrators (DTEA) of the MOET, and We are ABLE teachers to provide support for We are ABLE students to develop communication outputs
- Monitoring and Evaluation
- Develop Final Report
- List of YAG members including CVs
- Workplan and Budget
- Mission report to Ha Giang, Soc Trang and Ninh Thuan
- List of Orientation workshop participants
- Training guideline including content description of each capacity building training
- Training materials for capacity-building trainings in Ha Giang, Soc Trang and Ninh Thuan
- Communication outputs developed by We are ABLE students
- Final Report
- Financial Statement with supporting documents
Budget: USD 10,000 (maximum)
Qualification and skills
The contractor is expected to possess the following skills and qualifications:
- Bachelor degree in Social Sciences, Humanities, Gender Studies, Education or any related fields
- Proven working experience in youth engagement, preferably with knowledge of UNESCO youth engagement approaches;
- Proven working experience in designing and facilitating capacity—building workshops for adolescents and youth;
- Demonstrated experience with participatory and adolescent/youthfriendly learning methods and content development;
Skills and Competencies
- Demonstrated ability to design and facilitate workshops for adolescents and youth on soft skills;
- Demonstrated ability to induce innovation by using participatory and adolescent/youth friendly learning methods and approaches;
- Knowledge on Gender and Youth Mainstreaming;
- Patience, tolerance and flexibility;
- Commitment to team work, coaching and mentoring others;
- Awareness and sensitivity of crosscultural stings with proven cross-cultural competencies;
- Commitment to Gender Equality, Children and Youth protection.
- Excellent written and spoken Vietnamese;
- Good written and spoken English.
Request to submit a written expression of interest for a work assignment with UNESCO
UNESCO is inviting written expression of interest from Youth (between 18 to 30 years old) for the work assignment described above. Your written proposal should comprise:
a) Why you are qualified for the work assignment, including relevant experiences
b) An approach and methodology for the assignment
c) A tentative budget
Your proposal should be submitted by e-mail no later than 17:00 (Ha Noi time) on 22 November 2019. E-Mail proposals should not exceed 5MB.
To the attention of:
UNESCO Ha Noi office
Only short-listed candidates will be contacted after the closing date.