Netexplo, an independent observatory that studies the impact of digital tech on society and business, has been a UNESCO partner since 2011.
It was created in 2007 by Martine Bidegain and Thierry Happe with the support of the French Senate and Ministry of Innovation and the Digital Economy.
The Netexplo Observatory takes a unique, innovative approach to the study of digital society. Through its international spotting network, made up of globally renowned universities in the technology sphere, Netexplo explores the world for new uses of digital tech.
In November 2017, UNESCO and Netexplo signed an agreement to renew their cooperation for the upcoming 4 years.
17-19 March 2020, UNESCO Headquarters, Paris, France
The Netexplo Forum consists of two part: the Netexplo Innovation Forum 2020 and the Netexplo Smart Cities Accelerator. The Innovation Forum 2020 will present to the audience ten breakthrough digital innovations which have been selected by the Netexplo University Network for their disruptive potential. The audience will also have the chance to select their preferred innovation. The Smart Cities Accelerator program, this year at its second edition, will offer insights on smart city management, taking stock from the experiences matured by ten selected cities worldwide. The Smart Cities Accelerator program also includes an online component, certified by four leading universities: ESCP Europe Business School, Telecom Paris, Peking University and Shanghai Jiao Tong University.
The Netexplo Observatory addresses these goals by highlighting promising digital initiatives from around the world and fostering the emergence of knowledge societies.
To study digital society and explore the world for new uses of tech, the Netexplo Observatory builds its original approach on an international university network.
This voluntary network is made up of lecturers in tech-related subjects at globally renowned universities. In return for their participation they benefit from Netexplo's work and content. Their students are tasked with spotting the most innovative and promising digital projects worldwide.
The universities in the Netexplo Network are:
- Bezalel Art & Design Academy, Jerusalem (Israel)
- Columbia University, New York (USA)
- ESPM, Sao Paolo (Brazil)
- HEC Paris (France)
- HEC Montreal (Canada)
- IHECS Brussels, (Belgium)
- Indian Institute of Technology, Bangalore (India)
- Kaist (South Korea)
- Keio University, Graduate School of Media Design, Tokyo (Japan)
- MIT Media Lab, Boston (USA)
- National University of Singapore (Singapore)
- University of Chile, Santiago (Chile)
- Cape Town University, Cape Town, (South Africa)
- University of Technology, Sydney (Australia)
- Stanford University, California (USA)
- UTSEUS Shanghai University, Shanghai (China)
- Oxford University, (United Kingdom)
- IE Business School, Madrid, (Spain)
- Jawarwal Nehru University, Delhi, (India)