The Dakar Framework for Action (2000) is a re-affirmation of the vision set out in the World Declaration on Education for All in 1990 in Jomtien, Thailand. It expresses the international community's collective commitment to pursue a broad-based strategy for ensuring that the basic learning needs of every child, youth and adult are met within a generation and sustained thereafter.
(Article 1 - Expanded Commentary on the Dakar Framework for Action)
In 2000, most countries of the world pledged to achieve the six Education for All (EFA) goals by the year 2015. To achieve these goals, countries have collectively committed to implement the twelve major strategies presented in The Dakar Framework for Action.
As we approach the target year of 2015, countries in different regions are expected to conduct a thorough review of EFA achievements and experiences since 2000. This assessment will identify emerging issues and challenges, highlight good practices and draw salient lessons and prospects for education in the future.
The overall aim of the National EFA 2015 Reviews is to evaluate progress made towards achieving EFA and the extent to which countries have kept their commitment. The Reviews should also spell out the major challenges faced by each country in developing education in the post-2015 era.
The review process will help Member States accelerate EFA actions in the last “Big Push” to 2015, and inform policy debates for the definition of a post-2015 education agenda at the national, regional and global levels.
The National EFA 2015 Review process focuses on three interlinked strategic components:
- Assessing progress towards the six EFA goals;
- Reviewing the implementation of national strategies to achieve the six EFA goals;
- Determining current educational challenges and the future education agenda.
UNESCO prepared guidelines for country authorities and EFA stakeholders to organize and conduct their National EFA 2015 Review. It is expected that the national review will start in mid-2013 and continue until 2015 along with related regional and global events.
Previous Reviews and Assessments
Since the beginning of the EFA initiative in 1990, there have been several Reviews assessing the progress toward the EFA goals:
- 1996 Mid-Decade Review
- 2005 Mid-term Review
- 2010 End-Decade Assessment
7, Place de Fontenoy
75352 Paris 07 SP
- UNESCO's ADG/ED letter recommending the Member States to conduct the national review
- National EFA 2015 Reviews Guidelines
- EFA Assessment reports from previous assessment exercises (soon)
- World Declaration on Education for All and Framework for Action: To Meet Basic Learning Needs
- The Dakar Framework for Action - Education for All: Meeting Our Collective Commitments
- UNESCO Bangkok Office
- Guidelines for the Asia and Pacific Education for All Mid-Decade Assessment: Identifying and Reaching the Unreached
- Systematic Monitoring of Education for All – Training Modules for Asia-Pacific
- Asia-Pacific End-of-Decade Notes (EDNs) on Education for All
- Asia-Pacific Education for All Mid-Decade Assessment and Mid-Term Policy Review
- UNESCO Institute for Statistics
- World Bank