Global Action Plan of the IDIL2022-2032
The Global Action Plan of the International Decade of Indigenous Languages aims to ensure international cooperation and joint and coordinated action among stakeholders. It provides a strategic framework, outlines major actions and guidelines on implementation, monitoring and evaluation of activities for UN-system entities, national governments, indigenous peoples’ organizations, civil society, academia, the private sector and other actors.
The Global Action Plan builds on the outcomes of the 2019 International Year of Indigenous Languages, presented in the IYIL2019 Strategic Outcome Document (UNESCO General Conference 40/68); the Los Pinos Declaration [Chapoltepek] – Making a Decade of Action for Indigenous Languages, Outcome document of the High-level closing event of the IYIL2019 on 27-28 February 2020, Mexico City, Mexico; and the Evaluation of UNESCO’s Action to revitalize and promote indigenous languages within the framework of the International Year of Indigenous Languages (Ref.: UNESCO, 2021 IOS/EVS/PI/194).
For the drafting of the Global Action Plan, a series of steps were taken, working in cooperation with the Steering Committee of the 2019 International Year of Indigenous Languages and other stakeholders:
- Establishment of the open-Ended Ad-hoc group for preparation of the Global Action Plan, that includes representatives of indigenous organizations, institutions, and experts in the field of indigenous languages and issues.
- Launch of the Global Online Survey from November 2020 to May 2021 to gather inputs from a wide range of stakeholders.
- Organization of virtual consultative meetings in all socio-cultural regions from March to June 2021, with the participation of representatives of national governments, Indigenous Peoples’ Organizations, academia, and other public and private partners to identify regional, thematic, and strategic priorities to be integrated in future regional, national and local plans for the Decade.
- Mobilization of members of the Global Task Force for Making a Decade of Action for Indigenous Languages to provide input to the Global Action Plan.
- Public consultations were launched to consult partners and stakeholders on the draft of the Global Action Plan, between 15 September and 1 October 2021.
- Following the consultations, a finalized version of the Global Action Plan will be submitted at the meetings of UNESCO’s governing bodies in November 2021, and at the 2022 session of the United Nations Permanent Forum on Indigenous Issues (UNPFII).