Global MIL Week 2017
Global Media and Information Literacy Week 2017
Media and Information Literacy in Critical Times: Re-imagining Ways of Learning and Information Environments
The annual Global MIL Week activities and the feature conference are important opportunities for stakeholders globally to celebrate the progress achieved towards the process of "MIL for all". Global MIL Week also enables connections and sharing of creative projects, the latest research, new ideas, and information across countries and stakeholders involved in MIL, and in print, screen-based and digital media.
Media and information literacy (MIL) includes a set of competencies to search, critically evaluate, use and contribute information and media content wisely; knowledge of one’s rights online; understanding how to combat online hate speech and cyberbullying; understanding of the ethical issues surrounding the access and use of information; and engage with media and ICTs to promote equality, free expression, intercultural/interreligious dialogue, peace, etc. Read more about MIL
Message from Ms Irina Bokova, Director-General of UNESCO
10 ways to celebrate
Not sure how to be part of the Global MIL Week? We propose you 10 ways to celebrate.
Submit a paper or presentation
We invite all stakeholders across the world who are interested in participating in the feature conference to submit papers or presentation about MIL-related research, initiatives, programmes, policies and other types of work and new ideas.
Announce an MIL-related initiative
UNESCO is making efforts to create a database of worldwide MIL-related projects, initiatives and voluntary commitments. Register yours right now!
Join the GAPMIL
The GAPMIL is a groundbreaking effort to promote international cooperation to ensure that all citizens have access to MIL competencies. Currently, GAPMIL has over 500 members from over 80 countries.
EVENTS AROUND THE GLOBE
- 21 November 2017 When Media and Information Literacy becomes critical
- 21 November 2017 At the heart of creating knowledge for change
- 13 November 2017 UNESCO releases new publication: Survey on Privacy in Media and Information Literacy with Youth Perspectives
- 6 November 2017 2017 Global Media and Information Literacy Award: Organizations in four countries recognized
- 27 October 2017 Building the cloud of critical minds - Global Media and Information Literacy Week 2017 Youth Agenda Forum
- 27 October 2017 Experiencing a world of media and information literacy reggae-style in Jamaica
- 1 September 2017 Low-cost ways for media, libraries and schools to celebrate Global Media and Information Literacy Week 2017
- 3 July 2017 UNESCO supports GAPMIL Global MIL Awards 2017 - Call for nominations
- 2 June 2017 Global Media and Information Literacy Week 2017 - Website launched and registrations open