The UNESCO Global Geoparks Council is responsible for assessing revalidated and new UNESCO Global Geopark nominations. It makes the decision on whether new applications should be forwarded to the Executive Board of UNESCO for endorsement. Furthermore it has a key advising role to the Director-General of UNESCO on the strategy, planning and implementation of UNESCO Global Geoparks.
The UNESCO Global Geoparks Council shall be composed of 12 ordinary members, with the right to vote, who shall be individuals appointed by the Director-General of UNESCO on recommendation of the Global Geoparks Network (GGN) and of Member States. In addition the Director-General of UNESCO, the President of the GGN, the Secretary-General of the IUGS, the Director-General of the IUCN or their representatives shall be ex officio members of the Council without the right to vote.
- Ms Abd Elhady Ahmed, Enas
- Mr Asrat, Asfawossen
- Ms Chulepin, Helga
- Mr Lee, Soo Jae
- Mr Martini, Guy
- Ms Pásková, Martina
- Ms Ruíz Conde, Ana
- Mr Zhang, Jianping
- Ms Frey,Marie-Luise
- Mr Van Tran Tan
- Mr Alexandru Andrasanu
- Ms Gabriela Schneider
- UNESCO Director-General (without right to vote)
- GGN President (without right to vote)
- Representative of the IUGS Secretary-General (without right to vote)
- Representative of the IUCN Director- General (without right to vote)
The Council meets once a year during a regional or international conference on UNESCO Global Geoparks.
5th session of the UNESCO Global Geoparks Council
- 8 and 9 December 2020, Paris (digital), UNESCO Headquarters, France
- Draft agenda
- Report of the 5th session of the UGGp
4th session of the UNESCO Global Geoparks Council
- 31 August to 2 September 2019, Lombok UNESCO Global Geopark, Indonesia
- Draft agenda
- Report of the 4th session of the UGGp
3rd session of the UNESCO Global Geoparks Council
- 8 - 9 September 2018, Adamello Brenta UNESCO Global Geopark
- Draft agenda (pdf)
- Report of the 3rd session of the UGGp
2nd session of the UNESCO Global Geoparks Council
- 16 - 17 September 2017, Zhijindong Cave UNESCO Global Geopark
- Agenda (pdf)
- Report of the 2nd session of the UGGp
1st session of the UNESCO Global Geoparks Council
- 24 – 25 September 2016, English Riviera UNESCO Global Geopark
- Agenda (pdf)
- Report of the 1st session of the UGGp
Profil of the members
Council Members must fulfill at least two of the criteria below:
- Combined and proven professional experience relevant to UNESCO Global Geopark development in a “green-card” holding UNESCO Global Geopark (in at least three of the following areas: geological heritage, conservation, sustainable development, tourism development and promotion, environmental issues, community engagement, and public communication of geoscience) for at least eight years; and/or proven scientific or professional qualification in relevant fields and backed by a corresponding recognized higher education degree;
- Be/have been a member of the former Global Geoparks Bureau, Asia Pacific Geoparks Network (APGN) – Advisory Committee, and/or European Geoparks Network (EGN) – Advisory Committee for at least two years;
- Have been a member of the scientific committee of a UNESCO Global Geopark for at least six years;
- Have undertaken Geopark advisory missions over the last four years on behalf of UNESCO and/or the Global Geoparks Network.
Produre for Application
The following documents should be sent directly to the UNESCO Global Geopark Secretariat in UNESCO.
Completed application form and declaration with respect to the IGGP Statutes and UNESCO Global Geoparks Operational Guidelines as well as on the fact that there is no conflict of interest. - Detailed CV - Cover letter explaining motivation and added value of the candidate to the UNESCO Global Geoparks Council - Document of support from the Member State or the GGN presenting the candidate. A call for applications is generally launched in the Spring of even years (2016, 2018, 2020 etc.).