27 March 2019 at UNESCO Headquarters (Room XI) from 10am to 6pm: Meeting of the Working Group on governance, procedures and working methods of the governing bodies of UNESCO
At its 39th session, the General Conference endorsed – through Resolution 39 C/87 - 131 of the 134 recommendations proposed by the Working Group on governance, procedures and methods of work of the governing bodies of UNESCO.
Part 2, Sections B to G of the Working Group's recommendations contain 74 recommendations addressed to the UNESCO International and Intergovernmental Bodies (IIBs) together with two Appendixes containing, respectively, Guidelines on the responsibilities of representatives of Electoral Groups in Bureaus and a Non exhaustive list of best practices of the IIBs.
In paragraph 3 of Resolution 39 C/87 the General Conference invited the Executive Board, the Director-General and the governing bodies of the different organs examined by the open-ended working group on governance to implement, as appropriate, the above-mentioned recommendations.
Accordingly, the President of the General Conference invited the Chairs of the IIBs to place an item on the agendas of their respective meetings concerning the appropriate recommendations and to report back to her.
The purpose of the meeting of 27 March 2019 is reviewing follow-up to those recommendations of the Working Group (as endorsed by the General Conference) pertaining to UNESCO IIBs. To this end, the Chairs of the organs concerned presented the action taken by each one of them therein. The presentations have been followed by a debate.
To date, the President of the General Conference has received the following answers:
Feedback (in original language of submission) from the international and intergovernmental bodies:
- Headquarters Committee
- UNESCO Institute for Statistics (UIS)
- International Bureau of Education (IBE)
- UNESCO International Institute for Educational Planning (IIEP)
- UNESCO Institute for Lifelong Learning (UIL)
- Convention Concerning the Protection of the World Cultural and Natural Heritage (1972)
- Convention on the Protection of Underwater Cultural Heritage (2001)
- Convention for the Safeguarding of the Intangible Cultural Heritage (2003)
- Convention on the Protection and Promotion of the Diversity of Cultural Expressions (2005)
- Intergovernmental Oceanographic Commission (IOC)
- International Hydrological Programme (IHP)
- Programme on Man and the Biosphere (MAB)
- International Geoscience and Geoparks Programme (IGGP)
- Information for All Programme (IFAP)
Contributions to come:
- UNESCO Institute for Information Technologies in Education (IITE)
- UNESCO International Institute for Capacity-Building in Africa (IICBA)
- UNESCO International Institute for Higher Education in Latin America and the Caribbean (IESALC)
- Abdus Salam International Centre for Theoretical Physics (ICTP)
- Convention against discrimination in Education (1960)
- Convention on the Means of Prohibiting and Preventing the Illicit Import, Export and Transfer of Ownership of Cultural Property (1970)
- International Basic Science Programme (IBSP)
- Management of Social Transformations (MOST) Programme
- International Bioethics Committee (IBC)
- Intergovernmental Bioethics Committee (IGBC)
- World Commission on the Ethics of Scientific Knowledge and Technology (COMEST)
- Intergovernmental Committee for Promoting the Return of Cultural Property to its Countries of Origin or its Restitution in Case of Illicit Appropriation (ICPRCP)
- Executive Committee for the International Campaign for the Establishment of the Nubia Museum in Aswan and the National Museum of Egyptian Civilization in Cairo
- International Fund for the Promotion of Culture
- International Advisory Committee (IAC) of the Memory of the World Programme
- Conciliation and Good Offices Commission responsible for seeking the settlement of any disputes that may arise between States Parties to the Convention against Discrimination in Education