OREALC/UNESCO Santiago is the Regional Bureau for Education in Latin America and the Caribbean. It was established in 1963 with the purpose of supporting Member States improve their education systems, in the firm conviction that education is a life-long human right.
To lead, monitor and provide technical support to the countries of the region through each of its lines of action to advance the achievement of the Sustainable Development Goal 4 - Education 2030, with the involvement of other UNESCO offices and institutes, and with the participation of strategic partners.
- Lead policy dialogue among educational authorities in the region and other relevant key stakeholders, in order to establish agendas and priorities for the advancement and monitoring of the Education 2030 Agenda.
- Lead and nurture high-level technical dialogue on education in the region.
- Provide specialized and contextualized technical collaboration for capacity building, and for the development of policies aimed at fulfilling the commitments adopted within the framework of the Education 2030 Agenda.
- Develop standards, issue recommendations and guidelines, and promote compliance with the agreements signed by Member States under the framework of international conventions on the right to education.
- Position and incorporate education as a cross-cutting issue in intersectoral and inter-agency initiatives, under the framework of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development.
- Follow up and report on progress in the implementation of the Education 2030 Agenda, through the monitoring of educational indicators in the region and the comparative evaluation of learning achievements.