A short description of my three months educational training work on a research project at the Faculty of Construction, Computing and Technology (http://facct.ntu.ac.uk), Nottingham Trent University, United Kingdom is given below:
- To become familiar with web content update systems and web content publishing systems as applied to distance learning systems.
- To assess the possibilities for creating a universal web content management system to be used in educational institutes.
- To determine the feasibility of applying such a system in distance education.
- To investigate the application of the system by non-IT specialists who are specialists in their business field.
- To create a data model and a basic prototype for a web content management system to be used in educational institutes.
- To determinate the possibility of using the developed system as a distance Internet service.
There were four stages identified in this project. In the first stage, familiarization with a class of web content management systems was essential. Therefore the task of identification and classification of web content management systems was carried out. Subsequently, a conclusion about the applicability of such systems was drawn.
In the second stage of the project, a formalized prototype of the web publishing system, based on the conclusion drawn in the first stage, was created. Then, a practical data model of prototype based on DB MySQL was created in the third stage of the project.
Finally, the prototype of the system using java technologies (J2EE / J2SE) was created in the fourth stage of the project. The prototype was created using three-layer architecture with splitting of an application into thin client, application server and DB.
The feasibility study on the application of web content management systems for distance education was the subject of my research in Nottingham Trent University. A prototype was developed and a data model, which allows supporting complex web resources, was created. Using the system developed, it is easy to create and support web resources for educational institutes. The system helps to resolve the main problem of supporting web resources – split IT and design work from business area. At present, web resource development and support are extremely important aspects of the development of educational institutes.
This scholarship gave me the opportunity to experience another culture and to understand the way web management systems are developed in Europe. This helped me to understand the structure of such systems in western countries, including the UK, and the purposes for which they are created. It was a good opportunity for me to practice the English language and improve my communication skills, which helped me a lot in my professional development.
29 July 2003