Youth, Peacebuilding and Leadership Training Towards 2019 Elections in Nigeria
UNESCO and the Institute for Peace and Conflict Resolution of Nigeria, through its National Peace Academy, will organize a Youth, Peacebuilding and Leadership Training Towards 2019 Elections in Nigeria, from 16 to 20 April 2018.
This five-day intensive course will gather 50 participants: young leaders from the pilot North-Central geopolitical zone, and covering seven States (Benue, Federal Capital Territory, Kogi, Kwara, Nasarawa, Niger and Plateau).
The training will offer participants the following:
• Enhance knowledge on concepts and terminologies in peacebuilding and leadership;
• Enhance leadership skills to analyse and utilize various tools for peacebuilding;
• Increase social skills and personal development and initiate processes for active participation in society;
• Develop public policies needed to produce significant changes at local, national and global levels;
• Design and implement innovative programmes that effectively initiate and sustain needed services at the grassroots level;
• Develop skills to influence youths towards a “Culture of Peace”;
• Create a vanguard of conflict mediators and negotiators in States.
This pilot course will contribute to the grooming of a new generation of youth leaders and influencers with skills and mechanisms to understand and mainstream peacebuilding and leadership, and to instill in them proper outlook towards non-violent approaches to conflict, a key step ahead of presidential and general elections in Nigeria, to be held in February 2019.