Xth Forum of Ministers of Social Development for Latin America
The Xth Forum will be organized in Quito from 2 to 4 October 2014 by the Government of Ecuador and H.E. Ms Beatiz Tola Bermeo, Ecuador's Minister of Economic and Social Inclusion, in co-operation with UNESCO’s Management of Social Transformations (MOST) Programme. The theme will be “Overcoming inequalities in Latin America: social transformations and public policies”. This Forum is part of a series of Fora of Ministers of Social Development organized in various regions and sub-regions as part of UNESCO's MOST Programme.
This edition of the Forum of Ministers of Social Development will provide:
• A space for dialogue at ministerial level on regional social policy strategies, with participation of social scientists;
• Opportunities to work on the harmonization of initiatives;
• A platform enabling the exchange of experiences and successful practices in national policies;
• Opportunities for co-production of knowledge through presentations by, and discussions among, several key stakeholders;
• Opportunities to influence the international debate and policy formulation.
In addition to the Ministers and UNESCO, the Latin American Faculty of Social Sciences (FLACSO) and the Economic Commission for Latin America and the Caribbean (ECLAC) will be actively contributing to this Forum.
The first Forum of Ministers of Social Development also took place in Ecuador in 2001. This is the third Forum of Ministers which will be hosted by the Government of Ecuador. Ecuador also ensures the Vice-Presidency for Latin-America and the Caribbean of the Bureau of the MOST Intergovernmental Council (IGC).
Ecuador proposed to host the Xth Forum of Ministers for Social Development for Latin-America at the occasion of the IXth Forum of Ministers (Buenos Aires, Argentina, September 2013). The proposal was welcomed by attending Ministers and thus adopted in the Buenos Aires Declaration.