Urban Youth Meeting at Habitat III PrepCom3
Urban Youth Taking Actions for a People Centered Urban Development.
The Meeting will consolidate global urban youth perspectives towards the New Urban Agenda through a full-day programme of intensive and participatory consultation, resulting in clear messages supported by wide audience. This third and last PrepCom is the ideal moment to consolidate the diverse concerns, priorities and potentials that the future urban generation shares.
The overall purpose of this event is to create momentum for the Habitat III New Urban Agenda.
Children and youth are not only the majority of rural-urban migrants but often also comprise the majority of population in rapidly urbanizing developing countries. The percentages of young people living in informal settlements, experiencing poverty, or without sanitation or clean water, are usually higher than the overall population. They are at the forefront of the world on the move, and have high stakes in a paradigm shift towards sustainable and inclusive urban development in the next 20 years. In addition, active participation by urban youth can energize and contribute to the overall success of the global conference if they are engaged in substantive policy debates. A self-organized pre-event is one of the best ways to encourage their participation.
The Meeting is designed to achieve the following concrete objectives:
• Taking stock of all Habitat III national, regional and thematic urban youth consultations that have happened so far around the globe;
• Encouraging urban youth’s representation and sense of ownership in Habitat III process by broad and inclusive discussions, where especially all the youth-led organizations previously involved in any of the earlier consultations are welcome to give input;
• Deepening common knowledge and perspectives on urgent challenges and policy priorities affecting urban youth, by young women and men themselves (e.g. migration, inequality and informal economy, extremism and diversity in the city, etc);
• Mapping our and raising awareness about urban youth’s road to Habitat III main conference in Quito; and in addition
• Providing opportunity for Indonesian youth to develop capacity around leading and managing global youth consultation, and translate Indonesian Government’s nation-wide Habitat III zero draft consultations into further actions by youths themselves.
In Resolution 66/207 and in line with the bi-decennial cycle (1976, 1996 and 2016), the United Nations General Assembly decided to convene the Habitat III Conference to reinvigorate the global commitment to sustainable urbanization, to focus on the implementation of a New Urban Agenda, building on the Habitat Agenda of Istanbul in 1996. A preparatory committee is established to carry out the preparations for the
conference open to all Member States and stakeholders. The Preparatory Committee (PrepCom) will have had three meetings (PrepCom1, PrepCom2, and PrepCom3) before the conference. Thus, PrepCom3 will be held in Surabaya, Indonesia, from 25 July to 27 July 2016, and various multi-stakeholder consultations will take place simultaneously.
This third and last PrepCom is the ideal moment to consolidate the diverse concerns, priorities and potentials that the future urban generation shares.