UNESCO Associated Schools Network (ASPnet) Training of trainers on the whole-institution approach to climate change
The objectives of the training of trainers are two-fold. Firstly, it aims to provide the facilitators with the necessary skills to successfully lead and facilitate the whole-institution work on climate change, and the national project coordinators to effectively guide, support and monitor the work in the schools and to coordinate the process among them. Secondly, the training will equip both groups with the skills and tools to train other facilitators at country level on the topic.
To achieve the objectives, the training will include the following:
- Introduction to the concept and methodology of the whole-institution approach, including its different dimensions and phases of implementation based on the UNESCO ASPnet guide “Getting climate ready: A guide for schools on climate action”;
- Skills training on how to implement the whole-institution approach to climate change step by step: how to mobilise school-internal stakeholders? How to lead an inclusive process? How to work with the local community?
- Briefing on UNESCO’s current work on ESD and climate change;
- Presentation of selected teaching and learning resources and classroom materials on climate change action;
- Skills training on how to monitor, review and assess whole-institution actions on climate change;
- Presentation on how to use the key functionalities of the new Online Tool for ASPnet and the thematic space on climate change;
- Developing skills and techniques for conducting a successful peer training.
1. 24 facilitators (2 per country) and 12 national project coordinators are able to lead and facilitate the implementation of the whole-institution approach to climate change in their respective schools, and to coordinate, monitor and evaluate whole-institution action;
2. 24 facilitators (2 per country) and 12 national project coordinators are competent and confident to organise and deliver a peer training (to school facilitators) at national level.