When :from Thursday 30 August, 2018 08:00 to Friday 31 August, 2018 16:30
Type of event :Category 7-Seminar and Workshop
Where :Hotel Radisson Blu, Maputo, Mozambique
Contact :Arianna Iok I U/+84 8295984, email@example.com
Within the framework of the UN Plan of Action on Safety of Journalists and the Issue of Impunity, UNESCO partners with MISA-Mozambique to foster freedom of expression, public access to information and safety of journalists in Mozambique by reinforcing capacities of judges and other actors of judicial systems on these issues, through a two-day training workshop to be held from 30 to 31 August.
This training aims to provide participants with an overview of the international and regional legal framework underpinning the right to freedom of expression, access to information, safety of journalists. It is designed for judicial officers in Mozambique, as they are essential partners in the development, interpretation, implementation and enforcement of laws related to freedom of expression, press freedom and the safety of journalists.
This training is consistent with the UNESCO’s objectives to promote freedom of expression, press freedom, media development, and universal access to information and knowledge, for building peaceful, just and inclusive knowledge societies.
The training is expected to achieve the following results:
1. A judiciary with deeper knowledge on freedom of expression and press for the consolidation of democracy in Mozambique;
2. A judiciary with better understanding of the role of journalists: their rights and obligations, as well as their limitations and violations;
3. An environment that improved relationship between the judiciary and the press, contributing to a greater access to the information of the state of the processes in investigation or in judgment that represents a great public interest;
4. A judiciary committed to engage in efforts to combat crimes of freedom of expression and of the press in Mozambique;
5. Relevant experience and guidance shared on the advocacy campaign for Mozambique depositing Article 34(6) Declaration to allow NGOs and individuals directly accessing the African Court on Human and Peoples’ Rights.
6. A set of recommendations are produced for the advocacy work in the areas of defending press freedoms and raising awareness of judicial processes on press crimes and journalists' defense;