Technical training workshop on inventory and Documentation of the collections of the National Museum of Arts and Traditions of Gabon
With a view to continuing its assistance to Gabon in the fight against the illicit traffic in cultural property and the management of museums, the UNESCO Libreville Office will organize a technical training workshop on inventory and Documentation of the collections of the National Museum of Arts and Traditions of Gabon. It follows the workshop on illicit trafficking in cultural property and museum management in 2016.
In 2016, a workshop on illicit trafficking in cultural property and museum management took place in the framework of the activities of the Office for Culture in the Government of Gabon.
During this evaluation, the evaluation of the documentation system of the National Museum of the Arts and Traditions of Gabon showed that the inventory and the documentation of the collections of this museum are incomplete. This is a prerequisite not only in the fight against illicit trafficking in cultural property but also in the management of a museum.
Since 2010, the National Museum of the Arts and Traditions of Gabon has benefited from various initiatives in this field with UNESCO, ISESCO and the EPA in particular. Unfortunately, these have not been completed.
Hence, the relevance of this technical workshop.
The general objective of this workshop is to upgrade the system of inventory and documentation of the collections of the National Museum of Arts and Traditions of Gabon.
The specific objectives of this meeting are:
- Strengthen the capacities of museum staff assigned to inventory and documentation of collections;
- Strengthen the museum's institutional capacities to conduct collections inventory and documentation;
- Establish a task force dedicated to this task;
- Develop a relevant work plan.
The expected outcomes of this workshop are:
- The capacities of the staff of the National Museum of the Arts and Traditions of Gabon are strengthened in the inventory and documentation of the collections;
- The institutional capacities of the National Museum of Arts and Traditions of Gabon are strengthened to conduct the inventory and documentation of its collections;
- A dedicated work team with a designated coordinator is established to conduct this task;
- An operational work plan is developed.
Implementation and monitoring strategy
During the workshop, the training sessions will be facilitated by an international expert from UNESCO. Discussion sessions to better understand the current documentation system will be organized in order to better adapt the responses to be made and the expected work plan to be developed under the supervision of the trainer.
After the workshop, a dedicated work team will be set up. It will be responsible for implementing the work plan developed. A coordinator will be appointed; A distribution of the tasks will be carried out for each member of said group.
At mid - term, of its agenda, it will report the work by a progress report. At the end of the work, it produces a final report presenting the whole activity and the results achieved.
A formal inventory of the working materials provided by UNESCO will be prepared. It will accompany the official document establishing the composition of the working group set up for this purpose and comprising 10 museum staff members who took part in the technical training. The work plan will be spread over 6 months.