SDG14: Ocean: Science based solutions for achieving adaptation and mitigation goals
This discussion will explore how the UN system can support Member States in the implementation of the Sustainable Development Goals related to climate and oceans, including:
- enhancing our knowledge on the impacts of climate change on the marine and coastal environment and sustainable development;
- understanding the role of healthy oceans for adaptation and mitigation;
- building capacities to adapt to climate change through innovative and responsive solutions.
The event will be introduced by a keynote speech and opening remarks framing the topic, followed by discussions.
Keynote speech: ‘Latest scientific findings on ocean/climate processes’ by Prof. Hans Otto Poertner, Alfred Wegener Institute, Co-Chair of IPCC Working Group II.
• Vladimir Ryabinin, Executive Secretary, IOC-UNESCO
• Julia Bucknall, Director for Environment and Natural Resources, World Bank
• Regina Asariotis, Chief, Policy and Legislation Section, Division on Technology and Logistics, UNCTAD
• Edmund Hughes, Head, Air Pollution and Energy Efficiency, Marine Environment Division, IMO
• Tarub Bahri, Fishery Resources Officer, Marine and Inland Fisheries Team, FAO
• Mary Frances Davidson, United Nations University Fisheries Training Programme
Moderator : Dr. Lisa Emelia Svensson, Director Oceans, UN Environment.