Science for Sustainable Development
Information meeting with members of the Executive Board, on Science and Development, will take place on Tuesday 9 December 2014 in Room X. This meeting is organized within the framework of the series of events held pursuant to the Executive Board’s Decision on “UNESCO at 70 and Future Prospects” (194 EX/Decision 31).
It will be organized in two parts, as follows:
A morning session (from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.) on the subject of “Climate Change and Sustainable Development”.
The following two members of the UN Secretary-General’s Scientific Advisory Board (SAB) will be the guest speakers at this session:
• Mr Carlos A. Nobre (Brazil), National Secretary for Research and Development Policies;
• Ms Susan Avery (USA), President, Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution
An afternoon session (from 3 to 6 p.m.) on the subject of “Science for Sustainable Development”
The following three members of the SAB will be the guest speakers at this session :
• Mr Jörg Hinrich Hacker (Germany), President, German National Academy of Sciences – Leopoldina;
• Ms Reiko Kuroda (Japan), Professor, Research Institute for Science and Technology, Tokyo University of Science;
• Mr Wole Soboyejo (Nigeria), President, African University of Science and Technology (AUST).
Simultaneous interpretation of the proceedings of both events will be provided in English and French.
This information meeting with Board members is open to Permanent Delegations , Observers and designated Secretariat staff.