Rwanda: UNESCO Presentation of Information for All Programme (IFAP)
UNESCO will support a workshop to present the Information for All Programme (IFAP) programme in Kigali, Rwanda. This workshop aims at raising awareness of IFAP objectives among the ICT Steering Committee, staff from the Ministry of Youth and ICT (MYICT), Ministry of Education (MINEDUC) and other related entities in Rwanda.
The IFAP objectives include the listed below:
- promote international reflection and debate on the ethical, legal and societal challenges of the information society;
- promote and widen access to information in the public domain through the organization, digitization and preservation of information;
- support training, continuing education and lifelong learning in the fields of communication, information and informatics;
- support the production of local content and foster the availability of indigenous knowledge through basic literacy and ICT literacy training;
- promote the use of international standards and best practices in communication, information and informatics in UNESCO’s fields of competence;
- and promote information and knowledge networking at local, national, regional and international levels.
The last decade has witnessed technological development at a scale and speed unprecedented in the history of mankind. The challenge the world faces today is to ensure equitable access for all people to seize these new opportunities. Information is central to development; it is essential for survival and sustainability; it is the pathway to understanding and peace. IFAP is UNESCO’s response to the challenges and opportunities of the Information Society.
This activity is organized within UNESCO Korean Funds-in-Trust (KFIT) Rwanda Project that seeks to support the integration of ICT-based innovative approaches for education in Mozambique, Rwanda and Zimbabwe.