When :from Tuesday 16 July, 2013 08:30 to Friday 19 July, 2013 17:00
Type of event :Category 7-Seminar and Workshop
Where :Cresta Golfview Hotel, Lusaka, Zambia, Lusaka, Zambia
Contact :Florence Ssereo (email@example.com)
The purpose of the Workshop is to kick start a broad-based stakeholder contribution towards the development of the new Guide for Effective Teaching and Learning in Teacher Training Institutions as a participatory process.
The workshop will:
- Share information on best practices, experiences and lessons on mainstreaming ESD in teacher education from countries across all UNESCO regions
- Review the existing Guide for Effective teaching and Learning in Higher Education Institutions in Africa and identify modules that are relevant for teacher education
- Identify and agree on priority cross-cutting issues and topics to be included in the module on ESD (e.g. climate change, disaster preparedness, biodiversity. gender, ICT, HIV/AIDS)
- Draft and agree on the structure and outline of the modules to be included in the Guide to Effective Teaching of ESD in Teacher Education Institutions in Africa;
- Draft modules on the selected themes
The focus of the new guide is on teaching and learning specific cross-cutting issues such as climate change, biodiversity, disaster preparedness, gender, peace, HIV/AIDS, ICT and peace education and other priority themes in relation to sustainable development in Africa. It will help teachers and teacher trainers to re-orient teacher education to include education for sustainable development. It will prepare teachers to respond to contemporary challenges of education for sustainable development. The new Guide will go a long way in supporting Institutional capacity development efforts of Teacher Training Institutions.