When :from Monday 24 February, 2020 10:00 to Monday 24 February, 2020 12:30
Type of event :Category 2-Intergovernmental meeting
Where :UNESCO Headquarters, 125 avenue de Suffren, 75007, Paris, France
Contact :Christine Iskandar, firstname.lastname@example.org
The 52nd Session of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC) will be hosted by UNESCO at its headquarters in Paris.
The Opening Ceremony of IPCC-52 will be followed by a panel discussion on the theme: ‘Planet in Peril: Transforming the Course of Climate Action’ organized by UNESCO and the IPCC Secretariat.
The panel will bring together eminent scientists, climate experts, youth leaders, and indigenous representatives to discuss and share views on the ways and means to raise the ambition for more effective climate action and the role and contributions of science, knowledge and culture.
Climate change is one of the defining issues of our time, and UNESCO through its programmes in the sciences, education, culture and communication contribute to creating knowledge, educating and communicating about climate change, and to understanding the ethical implications for present and future generations.
Simultaneous interpretation will be provided in six languages for the opening ceremony, and in English and French for the panel session.
While the jointly organized events in the morning on 24 February are open to the public, the IPCC-52 session will only be accessible to accredited IPCC delegates
10:00 am : Opening of the 52nd Session of the IPCC
- Ms Shamila Nair-Bedouelle, Assistant Director-General for the Natural Sciences, UNESCO and
- Mr Abdalah Mokssit, Secretary of the IPCC
- Ms Audrey Azoulay, Director-General of UNESCO
- Ms Inger Andersen, Executive Director of UNEP
- Mr Petteri Taalas, Secretary-General of WMO
- Mr Florin Vladu, UNFCCC Secretariat
- Mr Hoesung Lee, Chairperson of the IPCC
- Ms Élisabeth Borne, Minister for the Ecological and Inclusive Transition
- H. E. Mr José Cassandra, President of the Regional Government of Principe Autonomous Region, Principe Island
11:00 am: Steps for a Change
Artistic performance by Les Arts en Scène
11:20 am: Planet in peril: transforming the course of climate action
Joint IPCC & UNESCO event
Discussion among leading scientists, youth leaders and Indigenous peoples representatives
- Mr Vladimir Ryabinin, Executive Secretary of the Intergovernmental Oceanographic Commission (IOC) and Assistant Director-General, UNESCO
- Mr Eduardo Brondízio, Co-Chair of the IPBES Global Assessment of Biodiversity and Ecosystem Services
- Ms Nikita Shiel Rolle, Founder and CEO, Cat Island Conservation Institute
- Mr Youba Sokona, Special Advisor for Sustainable Development at the South Centre and IPCC Vice-Chair
- Ms Rawya Bou Hussein, Al-Shouf Cedar Society
- Ms Hindou Oumarou Ibrahim, UN SDG Advocate, Indigenous Peoples of Africa Coordinating Committee
- Mr Lassana Cisse, Expert in heritage and local development
- 52nd Session of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, IPCC-52
- Changing minds, not the climate
- IPCC Press Office:
Melissa Walsh, email@example.com
- UNESCO Press Office & on-site accreditation:
Lucía Iglesias Kuntz, firstname.lastname@example.org
Access at 125, avenue de Suffren, 75007- Paris