When :from Monday 6 August, 2018 09:00 to Wednesday 8 August, 2018 19:00
Type of event :Category 4- International Congress
Where :Garni, Armenia, Garni, Armenia
In support of the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development and of the achievement of its Goals and Targets, UNESCO assists Member States in developing their national science systems, improving the quality of science teaching, including e-learning, and strengthening university education, particularly through the integration of research and education.
The “UNESCO/UNITWIN Interregional Network on PhD Education and Research in Biophysics, Biotechnology and Environmental Health”, which will be launched on August 6-8, 2018 in Garni, Armenia, will contribute to these efforts.
Reinforcing research in biophysics will help to solve a number of environmental, biotechnological and agro-biotechnological problems (e.g. food production, water purification) and promoting biosafety for food security and rural development in East European, South Caucasian, Minor Asian and African countries, is also of significant importance.
The Network was initiated by the UNESCO Chair in Life Sciences hosted by the Life Sciences International Postgraduate Educational Center (LSIPEC, Armenia) in partnership with
- Cairo University (Egypt),
- Jamia Hamdard University (India),
- the UNESCO Chair on Interdisciplinary Research in Diabetes hosted by the University of Tehran (Iran),
- Istanbul Medeniyet University (Turkey),
- the Bogomoletz Institute of Physiology (Ukraine),
- the Institute for Health and the Environment,
- the University of Albany (United States of America),
- Stony Brook University (United States of America),
- Southampton University (United Kingdom).
This demonstrates a concrete North-South-South cooperation and peace building between countries that have been in conflict in the past.
Research in biophysics and agro- biotechnology will be outlined in the educational programme of the workshop.