Interregional Seminar on “Men, Masculinities and Gender Equality in Africa, the Caribbean and Latin America: Interregional Dialogues”
The interregional seminar “Men, Masculinities and Gender Equality in Africa, Latin America, and the Caribbean” aims to involve men and boys in the promotion of gender equality. It will take place in Maputo, Mozambique, from 25 to 27 February 2019. Ongoing initiatives and effective evidence-based practices, that can be replicated and expanded in other countries and regions, thereby strengthening South-South cooperation, will be thoroughly reviewed and analyzed.
The seminar will gather key experts and actors from Central America, the Caribbean, Southern Africa and Europe. It will be an occasion, for cross-regional exchange and dialogue between researchers, civil society organizations, governments and development partners.
Key speakers, key partners, potential partners and donors will be presented with a rich programme addressing topics such as “education in masculinities” and “masculinities and gender equality”.
Expected results of this event are:
- to produce relevant contents to feed into the discussion and targeted action(s) to fill the significant gap, both in the field of gender and masculinity research;
- to elaborate a theory of change and action;
- to share and identify programs, projects and initiatives so that by means of South-South collaboration it may be possible to develop public policies with the participation of men and boys, in order to achieve gender equality;
- to develop key dimensions of a roadmap towards an inter-regional South-South-North initiative on masculinities, male roles and gender-based violence; and,
- to publish an edited volume on masculinities in Central America and Southern Africa.
This event is a collaborative undertaking of UNESCO, MenEngage Alliance, Southern Africa HIV and AIDS Information Dissemination Service (SAfAIDS), and Rede Homens pela Mudança (HOPEM).