Global Media Forum: The Role of Media in Realizing the Future We Want For All
UNESCO in collaboration with the Ministry of communication and Information Technologies of Indonesia will organize the "Global Media Forum: The Role of Media in Realizing the Future We Want For All" in Bali, from 25 to 28 August 2014.
The overall objective of this event is to contribute to the ongoing international debate about the importance of media and information and communication technologies for peace and sustainable development and to work for the inclusion of a goal acknowledging this in the post-2015 development agenda.
More than 300 media practitioners, academics, government officials, civil society organizations and media owners will participate in the Global Media Forum.
As stated in the UNESCO International Conference celebrated to commemorate the World Press Freedom Day in 5-6 May 2014 in Paris, freedom of expression and its corollary of press freedom and freedom of information are both fundamental rights as well as enablers of many goals relevant to the post-2015 Development Agenda. These include good governance, transparency and access to information, empowerment of women and youth, ending poverty, sustainable development and ensuring stable and peaceful societies.
Key themes to be addressed during the Global Media Forum are
- The role of media and the relevance of freedom of expression in human and social development
- Empowering people, including marginalized groups, through media and information literacy and access to information
- Facilitating good and effective governance through media
- The role of media in promoting peace, tolerance, and the dialogue among civilizations, cultures, people and religions
- Social media to enhance youth participation and civic engagement
- Gender Equality and media
- Safety of journalists as a precondition for freedom of speech and good governance
- Ethics and professional standards in media in the era of internet and social media
- Assessing the media landscape in Indonesia
Bali Road map for Media and Development:
The Global Media Forum will adopt the Bali Roadmap for Media and Development, which will include recommendations on both media development and media for development. Both perspectives must be included in the coming Sustainable Development Goals. The Forum will document how human and social development is relying also on unhindered access to information and knowledge and free media.